Android P; New UI Overhaul Material Design 2, 'Notch' design to stay

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Google is working on an overhaul of its Android mobile software for a new generation of smartphones mimicking Apple Inc.’s controversial new "notch" at the top of the iPhone X, according to people familiar with the situation.

The Android update, due later in the year, will also more tightly integrate Google’s digital assistant, improve battery life on phones and support new designs, like multiple screens and foldable displays, the people added.

A key goal of this year’s update to the Google mobile operating system is to persuade more iPhone users to switch to Android devices by improving the look of the software, the people said. They asked not to be identified discussing the private plans. A Google spokesman declined to comment.

While Android dominates the middle and low-end of the global smartphone market, Apple controls much of the high-end with users who spend more on apps and other services. Embracing the notch may help change that. The design will mean more new Android phones with cutouts at the top of their screens to fit cameras and other sensors. That will likely support new features, helping Android device makers keep up with similar Apple technology.

What’s unlikely to change much is Android’s nagging problem: Most of the billion-plus Android devices globally run outdated versions of the operating system, exposing security holes and holding back Google’s newest mobile innovations.

----- Related below

Source: Google's Material Design UI is Getting Revamped with New Colors, Iconography, and a Focus on Touch
Source: Now-pulled Chromium commit hints at ‘Material Design 2’ as part of Chrome interface redesign

Material Design has slowly permeated through all of Google’s products, while receiving frequent updates since its I/O 2014 unveil. However, the company might now be working on a “successor” of sorts that features new colors, icons, and spacing.

A Chromium commit (spotted by XDA-Developers) over the weekend reveals something called “the new google material design 2 standard.” This specific entry — which has since been made private — describes the “Material design 2 UI” being applied to the tab and tabstrip interface just above the address bar in Chrome.

----- Related below

Source: Apple to devs: Code for the iPhone X or nothing from April onwards

The Apple rumour mill has buzzed with speculation that less-than-completely-astounding sales of Cupertino's latest iPhone, the X, mean it might not be long for this world.

But Apple's now obliterated such theories with an overnight update to its app submission instructions that makes it plain the X is here to stay.

"Starting April 2018, all new iOS apps submitted to the App Store must be built with the iOS 11 SDK," the instructions now read. "All new apps for iPhone, including universal apps, must support the Super Retina display of iPhone X." The update also advises developers to ensure their current apps are X-compatible and take advantage of its new features and those in iOS 11.

Last edited:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Instead of copying Apple's qualities, like clean os, oems keep copying the defects.
The notch is indeed a very poor design choice which I hoped Android would not embrace.
The notch simply is a trick to hide your ambient light sensor and proximity sensor if you look apple design.
For me, it felt Apple iphone X was taking **otch shots hiding in that notch.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I switched from iPhone 4 years ago and I will be switching back to iPhone this year. Android is inconsistent, fragmented and an all round mess in my opinion. Every iPhone I had was a pleasure to use and once I switch back I won't be looking back at Android it's just another advertising opportunity for Google. But I'm not switching because of advertising I'm switching because the UNIX based iOS is just a better mobile OS in my opinion. Look at iPad's,the last one I had the AIR 2 when it first came out I had to go out my way to drain the battery and everything about it was better than any Androids tablets I've had and I've had a lot of them. I think Android is like a testing ground permanently in beta. I wish Google nothing but the best and hope they can get Android looking a slick and smooth as iOS one day.

Reactions: Vasudev

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I switched from iPhone 4 years ago and I will be switching back to iPhone this year. Android is inconsistent, fragmented and an all round mess in my opinion. Every iPhone I had was a pleasure to use and once I switch back I won't be looking back at Android it's just another advertising opportunity for Google. But I'm not switching because of advertising I'm switching because the UNIX based iOS is just a better mobile OS in my opinion. Look at iPad's,the last one I had the AIR 2 when it first came out I had to go out my way to drain the battery and everything about it was better than any Androids tablets I've had and I've had a lot of them. I think Android is like a testing ground permanently in beta. I wish Google nothing but the best and hope they can get Android looking a slick and smooth as iOS one day.
Did you try LineageOS with nano GApps on your phone? Its damn fast and has great battery life than stock firmware. Give it a try.
I actually did this on my sis's phone(Core prime) which she literally threw away when I got a Redmi 4X. So, trying a hand at Android and as an alternative for WP, I installed LineageOS and bam, its nearly fast and very fluid as S7 and iphone 7 even with 1GB DDR2 RAM and 8GB low end flash drive. After using fstrim on low end flash drive, it is like new phone and only downside is lower RAM and storage cap.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Did you try LineageOS with nano GApps on your phone? Its damn fast and has great battery life than stock firmware. Give it a try.
I actually did this on my sis's phone(Core prime) which she literally threw away when I got a Redmi 4X. So, trying a hand at Android and as an alternative for WP, I installed LineageOS and bam, its nearly fast and very fluid as S7 and iphone 7 even with 1GB DDR2 RAM and 8GB low end flash drive. After using fstrim on low end flash drive, it is like new phone and only downside is lower RAM and storage cap.
I am currently looking at LineageOS for me S6 and I'm going to have a browse over at XDA to see if there are any other nice, solid ROM's for the S6. Thanks for your reply.

Reactions: Vasudev

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.