Android runs better with 4GB of RAM, than 6GB

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
"In a recent post on the Weibo page of Lao Shi, an executive at the company, Shi discusses that he believes 4GB of RAM is plenty for a phone to run smoothly. He says that many Huawei devices actually run better with 4GB than a 6GB model would, and that the most important thing to do to a smartphone is optimize the operating system to be efficient as possible.

Shi cites Apple’s iPhone, noting that iOS doesn’t need a huge amount of RAM to run smoothly, and that the company has simply optimized the OS to work fantastically with smaller amounts of available memory. He says that adding more RAM only rises the price of a device ‘exponentially’, and that it is simply not worth pushing the boundary of this hardware in our mobile devices."

Do you agree?

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I agree, that's how Android works, 4GB are more than enough, the rest of the RAM is wasted.
Then, if we want to think in marketing terms as vendors, to increase the price of their products by increasing the RAM, then it is another matter.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
He didn't say android devices run better with 4gb than 6gb. He said his devices with the optimized OS he uses will perform better than other devices with 6GB without the optimized OS he uses.
In practice the more ram the better. More applications will stay in memory and start faster. There is nothing bad with adding more ram except when the price goes up but that is up to the consumer to decide what he is buying.

Last edited:

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
You just have to think about it. Mobile phones, small as they are, require that kind of RAM. There must be something wrong with that. In my opinion, mobile phones should be highly optimized as to not exceed what a computer can have and do. 4GB is a computer-grade amount of RAM already!

I'm thinking that the companies are spending less on upgrading RAM, but are demanding more money from the consumers. So, they spend less, but get profits exponentially. Consumerism and capitalism reign! :D

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I'm thinking that the companies are spending less on upgrading RAM, but are demanding more money from the consumers. So, they spend less, but get profits exponentially. Consumerism and capitalism reign! :D
A chip of RAM in a smartphone has really a negligible cost for the manufacturer but he exponentially increases the price of the device, justifying it with the increased RAM.
This RAM is in excess can be used for the running apps sure, but how many apps you've running at the same time to get benefit of this RAM? :D

RicharDooM

Level 1
Verified
Dec 6, 2016
Almost all the vendors which base their phones on Android are only making money of their customers. Android is full of bugs, as mentioned before, OS is not optimized with the hardware, and I don't know, in my opinion it's just rude!
iOS and Windows phones work way better with much less RAM. Apple charges for the brand, Windows is unsupported, and that's why people use Android devices...
I hope sometimes in future companies will focus on optimizing that OS to work normal without excessive cost for the users. I put all my hopes in new Nokia line powered with Android!

Reactions: XhenEd

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Almost all the vendors which base their phones on Android are only making money of their customers. Android is full of bugs, as mentioned before, OS is not optimized with the hardware, and I don't know, in my opinion it's just rude!
iOS and Windows phones work way better with much less RAM. Apple charges for the brand, Windows is unsupported, and that's why people use Android devices...
I hope sometimes in future companies will focus on optimizing that OS to work normal without excessive cost for the users. I put all my hopes in new Nokia line powered with Android!
Android's background apps optimization is poor. Google's own apps and services are the biggest culprit. However, its a lot less buggy than in the past. If you search online, you'll find there were less bugs and crashes in Android compared to iOS in recent years. Apple has gone worse. Their OS had nearly zero bugs few years ago when Steve Jobs was the CEO. Now its a mess with Tim Cook. But their background app and memory management is still great.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.