Anker’s Eufy removes 10 privacy promises; Eufy is a major privacy risk!

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Anker is the Chinese company behind the Eufy brand and many others. Be mindful before buying any of their other products.

The Verge reports:
Here are 10 things that were written on Eufy’s privacy commitment page as of December 8th, 2022, that are no longer there today:
  • “To start, we’re taking every step imaginable to ensure your data remains private, with you.”
  • “[Y]our recorded footage will be kept private. Stored locally. With military-grade encryption. And transmitted to you, and only you.”
  • “Here at eufy, we’re not just all talk and no action.”
  • “With secure local storage, your private data never leaves the safety of your home, and is accessible by you alone.”
  • “All recorded footage is encrypted on-device and sent straight to your phone—and only you have the key to decrypt and watch the footage. Data during transmission is encrypted.”
  • “There is no online link available to any video.”
  • “You need to use Eufy software and your account to decrypt the clips for viewing. No one else can access or read this data.”
  • “For Your Eyes Only”
  • “Peeking Prohibited”
  • “Everything In-House”

AndroidCentral says:
As Eufy has begun to change its promises and backtrack on company policies, Android Central is officially recommending that Eufy users begin sunsetting their Eufy cameras as soon as possible. The company has not responded to Android Central's requests since after the initial November incidents which already sends up red flags about Eufy's behavior.

Additionally, changing key terms of service or privacy and security commitments completely erodes any remaining trust in the company's products. Even if these policy changes don't bother you right now, there's no telling what else Eufy will backtrack on or what it might change in the future.

Last edited:

v4npro

Apr 20, 2019
I understand that the advertising for the Eufy cameras is/was terribly worded and false but In my opinion I do think the security concern has been blown out of proportion according to this video.

I too would like to know affordable alternatives.

Reactions: HarborFront

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
what are alternatives other than ubiq?
I too would like to know affordable alternatives.
Eufy wasn’t exactly affordable, starting at $150.

Arlo, Blink (Amazon), Eve, Google, Logitech (US), Ring (Amazon) to name a few. There are also DIY kits and offline ‘dumb’ systems available. Search for reviews before purchasing.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
If you ask me I would rather not install cameras by companies such as Google, Amazon, Samsung etc. These are big data-collecting companies. Eufy is a small company and is nothing compare to them. And that's the decision I made before buying Eufy cameras.

Ask yourself who is the bigger evil between Eufy and those companies I mentioned?

I used to have RING and Samsung video doorbell and cameras previously. Once RING was bought over by Amazon I changed to Eufy. BLINK also bought over by Amazon.

FI, ARLO has a serious lag in its system for the live view 4K cameras from feedback on the net.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.