Level 38
Verified
Jan 9, 2020
Today i got this popup at first Edge start:
1620547550163.png

Translation:
Use recommended browser settings
Microsoft Edge comes with built-in performance, compatibility and
speed to help you browse the web efficiently.
support.

• Use the browser settings recommended by Microsoft Browser settings
    Default search engine: Microsoft Bing
  • Do not update your browser settings

As you can see the first option is marked very nagging

SecurityNightmares

Level 38
Verified
Jan 9, 2020
MS has become very pushy when it comes to its products (Start, Settings, taskbar popups, etc), that is understandable, but it comes to the point of becoming a scareware.
Yes, after my post i found that setting too and disable the second option.

Such annoyance will only let users move to another browser. I can't understand what Microsoft want archive here now why they go up and down such ways.

You may find a way to replace it with better browser 😊
Maybe i will switch to iMac at fall. Let's see

Marko :)

Level 18
Verified
Aug 12, 2015
MS has become very pushy when it comes to its products (Start, Settings, taskbar popups, etc), that is understandable, but it comes to the point of becoming a scareware.
I wouldn't mind their offering of Microsoft services if they worked correctly at my location. Bing is literally the worst regarding local search results in my country. Google, and even DuckDuckGo do a much, much better job.

News and interests (new fancy taskbar gadget) is also useless to me because it doesn't have any Croatian media sources. Weather text is blurry and weather info itself is different than the one in UWP app (even though they use the same source).
Yes, after my post i found that setting too and disable the second option.

Such annoyance will only let users move to another browser. I can't understand what Microsoft want archive here now why they go up and down such ways.

Maybe i will switch to iMac at fall. Let's see
What they want so much is market share. They want everyone on Windows to use Bing, but it will take a lot more to make that happen. They have to present themselves as an alternative to Google, functional alternative which is currently not.

Even though I'm mad because Microsoft keeps forcing users to their services and pushes silly features that no one wants, I have no plans to switch to Linux or Mac. While using Linux is free, it would require me to learn everything from the beginning which I don't feel like. And Mac, even though the OS is good, it's price is driving me away. For 1.660€ (the price of the cheapest iMac) and even less, I could build an awesome gaming PC. So, yeah, no thanks!

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Only time I ever use Bing is to do my daily searches to save up points for a $10 Amazon Gift Card. There is no other use for it aside from the news section they have there though.

Everybody knows that Google search is far superior than any other engine you can possibly think of right now. Force somebody to use any alternative and you'll see them get frustrated by the time it takes to find what they're looking for as the results are poor. I've tried those "privacy-respecting" alternatives but can never stick with them due to the results being outright terrible.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I use Startpage on desktop as it use Google at backend so the results are same but without personalisation, tracking.

On mobile I use DuckDuckGo and the results are fine too
I'm thinking that the "personalization" is what makes Google's results far better. I don't know how it works but I do find what I'm looking for on Google quicker than anything else.

rain2reign

Level 5
Jun 21, 2020
The only things I touched in Edge was everything in the Settings menu (no flags!) and never once had this nagging yet. I did notice however most of these reports on forums about it have been coming since last update Tuesday. Except the automatic update I have not installed the optional(!) update on my system from then, and is still present in my update screen. Is it possible it happened as part of that optional update?

Reactions: venustus

SecurityNightmares

Level 38
Verified
Jan 9, 2020
The only things I touched in Edge was everything in the Settings menu (no flags!) and never once had this nagging yet. I did notice however most of these reports on forums about it have been coming since last update Tuesday. Except the automatic update I have not installed the optional(!) update on my system from then, and is still present in my update screen. Is it possible it happened as part of that optional update?
i don't install any optional Windows update nor i use any Edge flag.

silversurfer

Level 72
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Aug 17, 2014

You can disable the annoying "Use recommended browser settings" popup in Microsoft Edge, for now​

Here is how you disable the prompts right now in Edge:
  1. Load edge://flags/#edge-show-feature-recommendations in the browser's address bar.
  2. Set the flag to Disabled.
  3. Restart Microsoft Edge.
Once you have restarted the browser on Windows, Edge won't display these prompts anymore.

The description does not mention default browser or search engine prompts specifically:
When this setting is Enabled, Microsoft Edge may show active messages recommending specific features and workflows based on your activities – Windows

SecurityNightmares

Level 38
Verified
Jan 9, 2020

You can disable the annoying "Use recommended browser settings" popup in Microsoft Edge, for now​

Yeah, I already do that.
Let's see how the new fix will help without the flag