Solved Annoying Lag Spikes on Dell Inspiron 17 5000 Series

Zexx

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 23, 2014
Hello MalwareTtips Community once again!

Got this laptop 14 months ago now - and about three to four weeks ago the lag spikes started happening. Extreme lag for at least two to three minutes at a time, happening sporadically. When looking at the Task Manager, it states that the CPU and memory (either/or/both) spike from 20-40%.

i.e. CPU can be at 46% - then goes to 89%, then to 98% in five seconds.

The applications that get the resources seem to be Microsoft Edge, Chrome, or if I'm playing a game from Steam (or League, or another game), any of those. But I haven't opened or started any new processes, and these issues didn't pop up prior to 3 weeks. Nothing has been downloaded for quite the while, though League has gotten updated once - but this update does not cause lags on fully baked potato computers.

I contacted Dell Support, and they acknowledged that yeah, it was a software issue on their part - and then asked me to cough up $250+ ($120 for solving the issue, $130 for 1 year extension of warranty).

>_>

I hate irresponsible people, and hate designed obsolescence even more.

Anyways, since then, I've done two things:

1) updated my Radeon Graphics Driver, which I hoped would have solved the issue (I had v.16 something, while it was supposed to be at v.18 something)

2) Scoured through the Dell forumns with little success - others had reported the issue, but no solution was posted... except perhaps one where it stated to get rid of all Dell software....?

This issue is getting in the way of not just time with friends, but also in the way of some serious work.

Any help would be very much appreciated once again.

Edit: I stated above that it jumps - which it does - but the lag spikes also occur when CPU is below 20%, and Memory is below 70 or 60%, with no jump noted.

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    152 KB · Views: 1
  • Addition.txt
    93.1 KB · Views: 2
  • cpu.memory.overload.PNG
    cpu.memory.overload.PNG
    65.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Zexx

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 23, 2014
Also, against my better judgement, I updated some Bluetooth and WiFI Dell drivers just now.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Hello,

Can you find this file and upload it to VirusTotal?

C:\Users\SMJtype2\AppData\Roaming\3FA4F6~1\Sync.exe

Copy/paste the results when analysis is done.

This lag spike thing, is it only related to Google Chrome process?

Zexx

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 23, 2014
No, it is not just related to Google Chrome. Edge, League, and other processes spike too. Also, the spike happens when the CPU and Memory are at regular levels. All of these processes normally do not cause these issues - and if they do (for example when I have five Chrome windows with 20 PDF tabs open in each), then they affect only themselves and proceed to shutdown only themselves.

The lag that I refer to affects the computer itself - my mouse moves like a snail for 3-5 minutes, and it's sporadic.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In regards to your instructions;

I am unsure as to what VirusTotal is. However, I tried searching for that pathway, and the comp can't find it.

The closest thing that I can find is that This PC> OS(C: )> Users > Default.migrated.

Under this last folder, there are two seperate folders for AppData and Roaming.

AppData leads to Local then Microsoft then Windows. All of these are folders, and all are empty
Roaming leads to Intel > Wireless > Settings, and like above, all are empty

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Press Windows button + R simultaneously and type this %appdata%\3FA4F6~1

That should lead you to that folder. Let me know what is inside.

Zexx

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 23, 2014
Ah, as before, is it possible to limit the images and files to helpers only - for the sake of privacy/security?

Zexx

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 23, 2014
upload_2018-3-17_13-6-15.png

If it's something that you're not aware of then it's fine - though I'm still cheesed that Dell tried to pull this stunt on me. My previous ASUS laptop that was gifted lasted a good three to four years before ever showing signs of trouble. And the only reason why I got a new one is because that one fell with all the cords attached - causing the internal stuff to get completely messed up.

Zexx

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 23, 2014
Will do, dunno if that actually does anything.

It's happened when there isn't intensive things going on/or when the fan is off.

Zexx

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 23, 2014
Just as in update-

I haven't had the issue for a the past few days, though I haven't cleaned anything yet. Don't know if the issue somehow got fixed, or if it's just lying low for now. Thank you though for your assistance.

Zexx

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 23, 2014
As another update, the issue seems to be related to PDF files and/or Task Manager, as it came back when those two did.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.