Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No, not a malware-related issue.

These annoying pop-ups that occur if you hold a Youtube account, they appear at the worst possible time (ie, writing a reply).

It's possible, that these will appear if you don't have a Google Plus account (not sure about others).

See attachment :

[attachment=4098]

Don't be fooled into the given options, instead look near the bottom for
' I want two different names - one for Youtube, one for Google '

That way, you can avoid getting upgraded to Google Plus (Social Networking profile) and prevent name changes for your account.

But if you do decide to upgrade with G+, remember to uncheck Data Sharing.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,145

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
google and its monopolistic practices,I have a youtube account since 2006 but google eventually forced me to merge it with my gmail account after I kept rejecting it for years, you wait and watch in a few years this would be mandatory. google wants all our data!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
One time when "signed in" recently on gmail, and went to Youtube its just ask me to replace my username with my gmail name.

I've didn't bother to went in profile since my purpose only for gmail as reason.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I went ahead and joined my accounts to get rid of the pop-ups but I use a fake name. That way Google doesn't know what my real name is.

I never buy anything from Google because they don't need my real name, I don't use Google Talk or Google Plus, but I do use many other free Google services like Picasa, Earth, Chrome, Maps, Online Documents, etc.

Thanks.:D

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Earth, you can get rid of those popups by using Firefox with NoScript and Adblock. I never see any popups while using Youtube or anywhere. Additionally, by adding a Filter rule in Adblock, I block the annoying annotations that some videos display on top of the video.

Bo

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Except, I use Chrome and I never remember to use AdBlock at the time. :D

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Well, I guess now you have a good reason to start using a .....ah, real browser.:angel:

Bo:D

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'll pass, I like my rocketship. :p

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I've always made it that YouTube uses my YouTube account name instead of my actual name.

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
the only google products I use are the search engine,youtube and gmail and occasionally google maps. I have not installed any google softwares or toolbars ,I don't think I ever will and I rarely login to youtube.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well all of us found that Google and its most forerunners products are literally excellent however only privacy issues tends to be an ultimately "Cons" as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.