Not open for further replies.

SillyBilly299

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 26, 2015
A day after releasing its monthly security update, Adobe confirmed it has discovered a new vulnerability in Flash Player that affects every version running on the Windows, Macintosh and Linux operating systems.

Adobe said Thursday that it will issue an out-of-cycle security update next week to address the software plug-in's vulnerability, which it warned could crash and potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system. The bug was discovered earlier this week by researchers at Trend Micro.

"Adobe is aware of a report that an exploit for this vulnerability is being used in limited, targeted attacks. Adobe expects to make an update available during the week of October 19," the company said in its advisory.

The San Jose, California-based software maker did not immediately respond to a request for more information on the vulnerability.

The vulnerability in the widely used plug-in is already being used in phishing attacks launched by cyberespionage group Pawn Storm against a variety of governments, according to Trend Micro. Active since 2007, the group is known to have targeted governments in Europe, Asia and the Middle East, as well NATO organizations, the White House and US media, Trend Micro reported.

Adobe's Flash was once the de facto standard for websites to run games, stream video and deliver animation over browser software. It has fallen out of favor, however, with many tech companies and organizations, which deride the plug-in as a battery hog and security vulnerability. In its heyday, Flash ran on more than 800 million mobile phones manufactured by 20 handset makers. Its popularity has waned in recent years as more in the online video industry turn to HTML5, a developing language that can run graphics without plug-ins.

Following Steve Jobs' high-profile open letter attacking Flash in 2010, a chorus of voices in the tech community has called for the software to be retired. In August, Google announced it would no longer automatically play advertisements made with Flash on its Chrome browser, the most popular Web browser in the world. In July, a day after Facebook security chief Alex Stamos said that "it is time for Adobe to announce the end-of-life date for Flash," Mark Schmidt, the head of Firefox support, declared that Flash is "blocked by default in Firefox as of now."

Citing Flash's poor track record with security, some researchers recommend Web users disable or remove the plug-in altogether.

"2015 has been a very bad year for the Flash Player and given that a patch won't be available for several more days it is crucial to take immediate action to protect yourself," Jerome Segura, a senior malware researcher at Malwarebytes, wrote in a blog post Wednesday. "Indeed, this window of opportunity is something that exploit kit authors have taken advantage of in the past to infect scores of end users."

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Another day, another security flaw.

I seriously think they should just let this software die, it serves no purpose anymore as companies are trying to kill it off in favor of HTML5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent and frogboy

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
What needs to happen is something that can play Flash content without needing Flash Player.

This may interest some including myself - it's essentially HTML5 that can play flash content: Shumway

Needless to say, it's for Firefox only. Shumway is a project for Firefox after all. Whether or not it works is beyond me. I'll have to try it myself some time.

H

hjlbx

If they're constantly having frequent flaws in the software, they should just let the program die.

I would bet Adobe makes a ton of money directly or indirectly from Flash. Add to that the lack of willingness of vendors to stop using it for years - case in point, Microsoft - and users who have become dependent upon Flash - and therein lies the reasons why Flash is still so widely accepted and used.

However, this something to think about. Flash vulnerabilities are regularly reported because it is very actively pen-tested. Other softs, if scrutinized to the same extent, might turn out to be just as vulnerable - if not more vulnerable. Read up on browsers - which are as actively pen tested as Flash - and you will find vulnerabilities are discovered constantly.

IF Flash dies, whatever replaces it will soon be determined to be exploitable. That's just how it is.

So, ultimately, is it safer to use Flash that is very actively pen tested and patched - or - adopt a replacement and essentially start from scratch ?

I think the replacement will have the same result as Flash... eventually.

The same goes for Microsoft's Edge, Apps, and every other very widely distributed soft.

How many softs out there contain vulnerabilities that can be very trivially exploited ? I would bet many more than we suspect. We don't know because they are not actively pen tested and\or targeted.

Replacing a soft is only a short-term, stop-gap counter measure... and not a real solution... and I don't know that there is a "real" solution because of the nature of programming, Windows architecture and operating systems. If a soft is popular enough, then it will be a target for exploitation because a successful malware campaign is to a large extent a numbers game. In other words, the malware authors have to target a soft that is installed on enough systems to ensure they achieve their objective(s).

I am now of the opinion that using a soft that is constantly patched is the more secure option...

Reactions: jamescv7 and Oxygen
H

hjlbx

What needs to happen is something that can play Flash content without needing Flash Player.

This may interest some including myself - it's essentially HTML5 that can play flash content: Shumway

Needless to say, it's for Firefox only. Shumway is a project for Firefox after all. Whether or not it works is beyond me. I'll have to try it myself some time.

HTML5 is exploitable. It is documented. Go to MITRE site and read up on HTML Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVEs).

CVE - Search the CVE Web Site

Enter "HTML5" into search bar. It will return results.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
HTML5 is exploitable. It is documented. Go to MITRE site and read up on HTML Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVEs).

CVE - Search the CVE Web Site

Enter "HTML5" into search bar. It will return results.

Everything is exploitable. People wanted something than can replace it, I provided the way. I can't count how many times I said "nothing is perfect" or "the best" the on this forum alone.

Reactions: frogboy
H

hjlbx

Everything is exploitable. People wanted something than can replace it, I provided the way. I can't count how many times I said "nothing is perfect" or "the best" the on this forum alone.

Everyone here knows you know what you are talking about. You are advanced user.

I was just pointing out HTML5 is exploitable - just so some reader will realize that "Everything is exploitable."

I was not criticizing you... just supplementing what you posted.

Reactions: frogboy

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Everyone here knows you know what you are talking about. You are advanced user.

I was just pointing out HTML5 is exploitable - just so some reader will realize that "Everything is exploitable."

I was not criticizing you... just supplementing what you posted.

Sorry. I'm too used to being insulted on the internet I suppose. Most of the time I can ignore it but a habit is hard to break.

Anyway, back on topic. Testing out Shumway (in Cyberfox which may or may not work as intended), it seems only swf or audio from streaming video works. It seems no support for streaming video, only support for swf files (such as flash ads, games, web audio players, etc). One of the features of Shumway (click to play) needs Flash Player to work. Remember that Shumway isn't near completion although it's been a project going on for months (maybe over a year now).

mozilla/shumway · GitHub According to this (if you look at last activity) it's still very much an active project so I'd expect more support for more media played using flash sooner or later. Of course it states "Shumway is an HTML5 technology experiment that explores building a faithful and efficient renderer for the SWF file format without native code assistance." so it may never work with streaming video at all.

Reactions: Oxygen and frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Same situation, maybe one of the reason why it shouldn't die is because of money, more vulnerabilities = more money. Adobe as a big company where loss of revenues are just a small percentage due to so many backup product flagships.

Remember those scenarios occurred will always reduce the future risks since its actively maintain through patches.

Reactions: Oxygen
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.