Battle Anti-Ransom Tools comparison (CryptoPrevent v7x and WinAntiRansom v2016x)

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Note: MBAR and HMP.Alert have been discussed in other threads, so this thread is strictly for CryptoPrevent V7x and WinAntiRansom v2016x.

For MBAR/HMP.Alert discussion go here:
VERSUS - HitmanPro.Alert vs Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware
VERSUS - Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta vs Bitdefender Anti-Ransomware

For those who have used one or another or still use, what do you recommend running (I am aware one of the solutions can be run Free while the other cannot).

In terms of different variations of Ransomware, which of the above do you recommend and why?

H

hjlbx

WinPatrol AntiRansom has advantage of blocking creation of service. However, it only protects against ransomware.

CryptoPrevent - protect just against ransomware.

HMP.A has advantage of blocking various exploits generically\system wide - especially at file execution. It protects against things beyond just ransomware. This is particularly important on 64 bit systems - for example, Hollow Process. It's weakness is that it doesn't protect against the encryption of *.exe, *.dll, etc. SurfRight will add this protection in future version.

If you combine any of them with anti-executable, then your system would be significantly tougher nut to crack.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
CryptoPrevent is not only for protection against ransomware. As long as malware acts like traditional ransomware, it will be blocked as well. (Even legitimate programs will be blocked if they try to execute on the protected places. :D )

I have CryptoPrevent, and it never gives me problems yet. :D
I can't comment on WinAntiRansom because I don't know how it works yet. :D

H

hjlbx

CryptoPrevent is not only for protection against ransomware. As long as malware acts like traditional ransomware, they will be blocked as well. (Even legitimate programs will be blocked if they try to execute on the protected places. :D )

I have CryptoPrevent, and it never gives me problems yet. :D
I can't comment on WinAntiRansom because I don't know how it works yet. :D

Good to know.

Reactions: JB007

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
CryptoPrevent is a great program as it builds on the Group Policy modifications that Amy B at Thirdtier did for MS Enterprise and making these "tweaks" available to the Home user. The disadvantage is that it institutes policies that the BlackHats know exist and can strive to sidestep.

I'm actually in the process of scripting a video about this very topic; wasn't going to include WAR but perhaps I should.

Niente

Level 2
Verified
Jul 24, 2016
CryptoPrevent is a great program as it builds on the Group Policy modifications that Amy B at Thirdtier did for MS Enterprise and making these "tweaks" available to the Home user. The disadvantage is that it institutes policies that the BlackHats know exist and can strive to sidestep.

I'm actually in the process of scripting a video about this very topic; wasn't going to include WAR but perhaps I should.

Very interesting. :)

And finally, did you made the video?

Thanks in advance!

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
I am indecisuos i like to use some of this tools but i dont know if they are dificult to use and make system unresponsive i read antirasomware can interfer whith another security tools. Is that true?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.