Troubleshoot Antimalware detects an app

aaykay24

Thread author
Jul 23, 2021
I installed Malwarebytes on my android and it detected one of the apps (Picsart) as PUP.riskware.obfus.rx. under non-critical issues. Just to be clear I also tried scanning my phone via Avast which showed no threats whatsoever. The app hasn't been active for months and hasn't used any data. Should I be anxious that it may have stolen my data?

Balrog

Level 6
Verified
May 5, 2015
Quoting the definition of Riskware by Malwarebytes:

"Malwarebytes uses the detection name “Riskware.” to apply to a category of programs or applications that put the user at risk in some way...

Programs might be termed as “riskware” because they:

Violate the terms of service (ToS) of other software or a user platform.
Block another application or software from being updated and patched.
Might be illegal to use in the users’ country.
Could be used as a backdoor for other malware.
Are indicative of the presence of other malware.
"

I trust Malwarebytes but not Avast. In your place I would delete the app even more if it hasn't been used in months. As a general rule, I eliminate everything that is not essential for my daily use of the phone.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.