LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
... ...
Naturally, this is quite the abuse of privacy. So, according to Vice, cybersecurity firms have been analysing the malware, dubbed BXAQ or Fengcai.

The report claims that multiple cybersecurity firms have software that now detects the presence of the Chinese spyware, and depending on the anti-virus software, a pop-up will alert people to the presence of snooping software on their phone.

Malwarebytes said it had created a rule to detect the Chinese malware, and Symantec said its anti-virus software would have already detected the dodgy software and have flagged it as an unwanted app.
... ...

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I wouldn't want to visit China if they tried to pull this on my phone... I'd crush that phone and buy a Huawei...wait, maybe not... ;)

At least in the US there may be spying, but no physical installs on my phone at the border, no matter where I travel...haha.

What's wrong with this world ;(

Back to the point, I think this is prob localized and not done all throughout China. Could you imagine the Shanghai airport physically grabbing everyones phones at border security and doing this? Prob not...

Xinjiang region borders some Arab countries. < That part says a lot and could be China's intent.

A simple Google search shows this region under a lot of distress. I'm just too tired to read it all tonight.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Back to the point, I think this is prob localized and not done all throughout China. Could you imagine the Shanghai airport physically grabbing everyones phones at border security and doing this? Prob not..

I agree, based on my reading of the article and my of the news generally about this area of China.

Xinjiang region borders some Arab countries. < That part says a lot and could be China's intent.

A simple Google search shows this region under a lot of distress. I'm just too tired to read it all tonight.

Very bad ju-ju about Xinjiang, the "re-education" centers, separating children from parents, etc. And the subject of the Dalai Lama is a whole other story! Nothing good is happening on these fronts, definitely.

Reactions: stefanos
Jun 26, 2019
You could always just take a spare phone with you with no personal information on it and let them install the spyware on that. Disconnect any internet/mobile data. Uninstall it after you've passed the border.

If there's no connection then it can't call home and send back anything collected anyway.

Reactions: oldschool

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Crazy world we live in. How sick and sad.... Guess this really tells us the times we are in. As with what @motox781 mentioned - I cannot imagine that this is occurring throughout the country. Otherwise, I think this would be making the front page news throughout our world. My guess is that this is localized too. Still can we say waaaaaaaaa? :mad:(n)(n):eek:o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O:censored:

~Brian

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
Actually there was an article not long ago, where the USA was proven to be doing the same.

That why I made my previous comment,

I couldn't find anything on it. Either it was fake news or never happenned. I try not to be 'lost in wonderland' with my government, but I've been out and in the US many times, and never has my phone left my pocket. Freedom and the constitution is still very very powerful in the US. The right to do whatever you want (as long as you don't effect someone else), is completly OK and sometimes annoyingly (by whatever political party you side with).

Back to the subject, the US doesn't need to locally install malware on phones like China does. The US spends $664 billion dollars a year on defense, more than the next 10 countries combined. Imagine how much of that goes into 'black' projects. Things we will find out about 20 years later (similar to the B2 bomber).

The defense spending of the US alone is more than the GDP of Poland, Sweden, Taiwan, Belgium, Austria, UAE, Iran, Israel, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc etc..the list goes way on. Think about that.

Last edited:

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
The Muslims in China this is done to them. There are certainly going to lose tourism to that area, maybe their goal.

I certainly would never visit China, Communist regime, very high levels of pollution (stay long in China if you love getting cancer).

I would never buy any high tech equipment or software from China if I can help it. Communist regime.

L

Local Host

I couldn't find anything on it. Either it was fake news or never happenned. I try not to be 'lost in wonderland' with my government, but I've been out and in the US many times, and never has my phone left my pocket. Freedom and the constitution is still very very powerful in the US. The right to do whatever you want (as long as you don't effect someone else), is completly OK and sometimes annoyingly (by whatever political party you side with).

Back to the subject, the US doesn't need to locally install malware on phones like China does. The US spends $664 billion dollars a year on defense, more than the next 10 countries combined. Imagine how much of that goes into 'black' projects. Things we will find out about 20 years later (similar to the B2 bomber).

The defense spending of the US alone is more than the GDP of Poland, Sweden, Taiwan, Belgium, Austria, UAE, Iran, Israel, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc etc..the list goes way on. Think about that.
You haven't done much an effort in your search,
Nothing like giving away all your personal data at the border, honestly over here that would be illegal. As always USA is run by and for the corporations, the citizens come second with no rights.

Also for so much wasted money in defense, I can't ignore the fact Russia turned your most advanced vessel into a paper weight in the middle of the sea.

Last edited:
  • HaHa
Reactions: CyberTech and jogs

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
I won't mind what ever those Chinese guys want to install, I will just take one old keypad phone that's lying somewhere in my house. :ROFLMAO:

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
You haven't done much an effort in your search,
Nothing like giving away all your personal data at the border, honestly over here that would be illegal. As always USA is run by and for the corporations, the citizens come second with no rights.

Also for so much wasted money in defense, I can't ignore the fact Russia turned your most advanced vessel into a paper weight in the middle of the sea.

1. Searching is not installation of malware. Even though I don't agree with either. As far as legality goes, I'm pretty sure anyone from any other country has limited rights when they enter another country they are not a citizen of, especially at the border. I could be wrong though.

As I've said, I've never had anyone ever try to search my phone when entering or leaving the US (or anyone else while watching for hours to check in). Even though I believe it is true, this could be rogue news simlar to one we had recently about 'sink holes' forming all over the US. You would think, by watching the news, your house would be swallowed up tomm...which none of it happened.

2. I guess you are talking about the news of 2 naval ships having a kitty fight. No shots were fired. That's when you find the true power of a product. When you actually use it for what's its intended for. In a real war, ships don't get 100ft apart unless one is on fire or being rescued.

Last edited:
L

Local Host

1. Searching is not installation of malware. Even though I don't agree with either. As far as legality goes, I'm pretty sure anyone from any other country has limited rights when they enter another country they are not a citizen of, especially at the border. I could be wrong though.

As I've said, I've never had anyone ever try to search my phone when entering or leaving the US (or anyone else while watching for hours to check in). Even though I believe it is true, this could be rogue news simlar to one we had recently about 'sink holes' forming all over the US. You would think, by watching the news, your house would be swallowed up tomm...which none of it happened.

2. I guess you are talking about the news of 2 naval ships having a kitty fight. No shots were fired. That's when you find the true power of a product. When you actually use it for what's its intended for. In a real war, ships don't get 100ft apart unless one is on fire or being rescued.
I'm not talking of any fight whasoever, as the USA Vessel was turned into a paper weight from the start, meaning if there was any sort of fight the USA vessel would have lost from start.

Plus as a USA citizen, you have more rights in the EU, than in your own country (especially when it comes to privacy).

Last edited:

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I'm not talking of any fight whasoever, as the USA Vessel was turned into a paper weight from the start, meaning if there was any sort of fight the USA vessel would have lost from start.

Plus as a USA citizen, you have more rights in the EU, than in your own country (especially when it comes to privacy).

I guess your talking about this article (I saw something about an EMP before your edit), which looks highly theroretical:

And I found this comment which is interesting and thorough, from a Senior Chief U.S. Navy and a Former Weapons Technician, Royal Australian Navy:

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019
And I found this comment which is interesting and thorough, from a Senior Chief U.S. Navy and a Former Weapons Technician, Royal Australian Navy:
Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) blasts can be suppressed by water as well. In the sea where the level of water is obviously high, an EMP won't be as effective as it might be on normal land.

You might have more rights but that doesn't mean anything when they aren't properly enforced. GDPR has not been enforced for numerous companies - it's usually only the largest ones which get any penalties at all and as such they can afford to pay the fines without breaking a sweat - and do not think for one second that you aren't being watched because government agencies from EU countries are just as good at surveillance than the U.S are.

Not hearing about exposures for black operations or general surveillance != it doesn't happen.

All of the resourceful governments are actively collecting intelligence within their own country as well as foreign countries... and if they aren't, it's because they have allies who are doing it for them.

Reactions: motox781
L

Local Host

Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) blasts can be suppressed by water as well. In the sea where the level of water is obviously high, an EMP won't be as effective as it might be on normal land.

You might have more rights but that doesn't mean anything when they aren't properly enforced. GDPR has not been enforced for numerous companies - it's usually only the largest ones which get any penalties at all and as such they can afford to pay the fines without breaking a sweat - and do not think for one second that you aren't being watched because government agencies from EU countries are just as good at surveillance than the U.S are.

Not hearing about exposures for black operations or general surveillance != it doesn't happen.

All of the resourceful governments are actively collecting intelligence within their own country as well as foreign countries... and if they aren't, it's because they have allies who are doing it for them.
I understand that is what you want to believe, when you live in a country without rights and laws that protect the end user.

However in the EU, if you're smart can easily protect yourself using your rights and laws. If you believe someone is in breach of GDPR you can easily make a formal complaint and threaten to report it to the authorities.

I never let any company exploit me, and use the law to my advantage whenever I can (something you can't do). In the USA no matter how much you whine, you the one bending to the companies (you either eat what you fed, or you leave).

If you need an example not long ago, I bought a product online that was defective and according to the store EULA I don't have the right to a refund unless I use buyer protection. But according to the EU law I had the right to the refund (regardless of reason) the first 14 days after getting the item.

If you can't guess what happened there, I got my full refund and even a voucher (only someone who doesn't know the law and lets themselves get exploited that are fooled), the company in question had the right to ban my account due to me not agreeing to the EULA, but then I would report it to the authorities since they in breach of EU law.

Goodluck doing that in USA.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019
If you need an example not long ago, I bought a product online that was defective and according to the store EULA I don't have the right to a refund unless I use buyer protection. But according to the EU law I had the right to the refund (regardless of reason) the first 14 days after getting the item.

If you can't guess what happened there, I got my full refund and even a voucher (only someone who doesn't know the law and lets themselves get exploited that are fooled), the company in question had the right to ban my account due to me not agreeing to the EULA, but then I would report it to the authorities since they in breach of EU law.
That is money extortion and it's illegal.

It seems to me that you're the one that doesn't know the law - just as bad as the company you blackmailed.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.