Any good free antivirus for Android?

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Most smartphone comes with a basic scanner so adding one is not necessary, just don't install crap apps and check their permissions.

But if you really need one, i vote for either Avast or Sophos , i prefer Sophos because less bloat and ads.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Every app is sandboxed in Android and Chrome mobile uses strict site isolation and sandboxing for each tab as well. The most important thing is to have the latest security patch, a relatively modern phone from a company with a good reputation and use brain.exe. An app called "Super Antivirus Free VPN" should be treated with a grain of salt. If you stick to the popular apps, you will never run into malware. Never had Android malware in my life.

I highly recommend getting a phone that doesn't come with questionable bloatware pre-installed and preferably Android 9 or higher because it has stricter permissions. I'm on Android 10 and the permission system is brutal. Never seen something like this in an OS. Android 10 is extremely strict with everything especially clipboard.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I just installed Sophos again after not using it for awhile. It has changed the way you configure it so you can use only the modules you wish. It took a bit of figuring out but I think I like this new version more than the last. I've enabled Scanner, Web filtering and Wifi security. (y) (y)

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I'm gonna second for Sophos, if it's free. Also check what @Umbra mentioned. For example, my Samsung Galaxy S8+ brings automated optimizing tools, a cleaner powered by 360 and a malware scanner powered by McAfee. Usually this tends to be enough. Else, Sophos provides everything a paid app offers, plus totally free and no ads or compromising privacy.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I'm gonna second for Sophos, if it's free. Also check what @Umbra mentioned. For example, my Samsung Galaxy S8+ brings automated optimizing tools, a cleaner powered by 360 and a malware scanner powered by McAfee. Usually this tends to be enough. Else, Sophos provides everything a paid app offers, plus totally free and no ads or compromising privacy.

My phone came with McAfee and I used it with the other free tools like your post but M started to give me premium nag, otherwise I would have kept it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.