Any reliable VPN reviews out there?

jazzmaster

Level 1
Verified
Aug 20, 2017
How about TunnelBear? I used it a lot.
I have OkayFreedom too, but rarely use it. I think better just try recomendation from MT member and don't stick to one VPN service.
Recently I added WindScribe (Promo 50GB) and Cyberghost (free).

And You can try to use DNSCrypt to add security to your connection.

Last edited:

mlnevese

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I have OkayFreedom too, but rarely use it. I think better just try recomendation from MT member and don't stick to one VPN service.

Just tried TunnelBear; it couldn't even complete a connection... Trying all the others that offer a free trial

jazzmaster

Level 1
Verified
Aug 20, 2017
Just tried TunnelBear; it couldn't even complete a connection... Trying all the others that offer a free trial
Sometimes tunnelbear will disconnect automatic and difficult to connect again, I don't know why but few days ago it is normal again.

So my advice is search and try other VPN service just trial & error find the best for you & your location.

CMIIW

Reactions: mlnevese

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Sometimes tunnelbear will disconnect automatic and difficult to connect again, I don't know why but few days ago it is normal again.

So my advice is search and try other VPN service just trial & error find the best for you & your location.

CMIIW
Have you tried ZorroVPN? Pretty good for privacy, security amd anonymity

mlnevese

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Have you tried ZorroVPN? Pretty good for privacy, security amd anonymity

So far I have tried:

Windscribe - steady connection but gives me around 10% of my connection speed. Good enough to browse but I wouldn't try to download anything big with it...
TunnelBear - couldn't connect
Mullvad - constant disconnections during my 3 hours trial.

Last edited:

mlnevese

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I'm trying any service that offers a free trial, either a data transfer cap or a small period for testing... I really prefer not to test half a dozen paid services to see if they work and then hope for a refund if they don't work well for me.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I'm trying any service that offers a free trial, either a data transfer cap or a small period for testing... I really prefer not to test half a dozen paid services to see if they work and then hope for a refund if they don't work well for me.
ZorroVPN has free trial. Just write to the provider and request for it. I'm still on its trial and is ending the next few days

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

Regarding CyberGhost I trial it and gave up. For some unknown reason I just could not connect to the privacy servers for 2 days on a week end. They do have impressive features though

BTW, it seems their DNS servers do NOT support DNSSEC

List of Public DNS Servers [wiki.ipfire.org]

mlnevese

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Regarding CyberGhost I trial it and gave up. For some unknown reason I just could not connect to the privacy servers for 2 days on a week end. They do have impressive features though

BTW, it seems their DNS servers do NOT support DNSSEC

List of Public DNS Servers [wiki.ipfire.org]

Just testing Cyberghost... I'm getting 80% of its promised speed for free accounts, it passed all the leaktests I threw at it... but some of its practices, such as the fake waiting queue is making me have doubts... reading some of the review sites to see what's the general opinion about it.

Last edited:

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Just testing Cyberghost... I'm getting 80% of its promised speed for free accounts, it passed all the leaktests I threw at it... but some of its practices, such as the fake waiting queue is making me have doubts... reading some of the review sites to see what's the general opinion about it.
I have the premium version of it, works fine for me, loads youtube videos perfectly

mlnevese

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Turns out my internet provider was having problems yesterday so I decided to test Mullvad and Tunnelbear once more.

Tunnelbear - Automatic connection still does not work. Selecting a connection manually connects me quickly and gives me around 80% of my connection speed.

Mullvad - It takes some time to connect but after it does I basically forget it's there. Speedtest shows me around 95% of my normal speed. With all the praise I've read about it, it may be a keeper.

Reactions: frogboy

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Turns out my internet provider was having problems yesterday so I decided to test Mullvad and Tunnelbear once more.

Tunnelbear - Automatic connection still does not work. Selecting a connection manually connects me quickly and gives me around 80% of my connection speed.

Mullvad - It takes some time to connect but after it does I basically forget it's there. Speedtest shows me around 95% of my normal speed. With all the praise I've read about it, it may be a keeper.
Since you tested Mullvad are you aware whether they have dedicated DNS servers? If yes, do the DNS servers support DNSCrypt, DNSSEC, no log and come with malware and unwanted content blocking? If no, are the DNS servers connected to Google Public servers?

BTW, does Mullvad comes with multi-hop VPN feature? Look at the bottom of the below table

Mullvad | Guides

From the below it seems not so impressive

Mullvad VPN Review: Is It Worth Your Time And Money?

Last edited:

mlnevese

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Since you tested Mullvad are you aware whether they have dedicated DNS servers? If yes, do the DNS servers support DNSCrypt, DNSSEC, no log and come with malware and unwanted content blocking? If no, are the DNS servers connected to Google Public servers?

BTW, does Mullvad comes with multi-hop VPN feature? Look at the bottom of the below table

Mullvad | Guides

I wouldn't give much credit to that review as the site is clearly sponsored by IPVanish... it offers 57% if you follow the site link.

Last edited:

Mullvad | Guides

1. No multi-hop (instead it allows for a random connection to a rather large list of servers)
2. Some people can get the Mullvad client to work, others cannot; you have to try it - if it doesn't work - they will give you a refund within the first 5 days if you request one

Mullvad uses its own DNS servers. Ask the Mullvad support for the latest details as they are continuously changing stuff.

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
Best to try their trial if they have one. What I do after the trial is used the paid version for say 3 months. If I like it I will just go another 3 months at a time.
Currently using AirVPN. 3 months is 15 bucks.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.