Battle Any substitute of HMPA to choice as Anti-Exploit Layer on my Main Sys.?

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
Please helpme Hurryup! My license for HitmanPro.Alert will expire in the next days, I'm looking for another product who will can protect me with similar capabilities.
I don't want the protection of MBAE because it is lacking in several aspects, it doesn't allow to add a large list of applications that I want to protect, its interface is very limited.
nor ZAL for the same reason because also it is outdated, instead of this two programs (mbae-zal), Ive solved the keylogger vulnerability with the protection of spyshelter in my system against keylogger rootkits and hooks, that is why in HMPA I only use the other remaining modules as you can see on this image.
PrtScr capture.png

Spyshelter it's better than HMPA against hooks and Encryption keys on my experience, it also preventing the desktop screenshots and stealing text attack (copy-paste).
198683-6fb361de083decbdc38b2a6fa4e1c3e7.jpg

But Hitman it's better protecting through navigators remote attacks and against malicious exe-dll vulnerabilities comming from signed known companies that sometimes i download from free sources and promo giveaways suspict of cheater setup programmers. I'm looking to mix Eset, Nvtoa, Spyshelter and ???? Thank you.​

Attachments

• PrtScr capture_2.png
    PrtScr capture_2.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 424
E

Eddie Morra

In my opinion, you're on the wrong track if you're after a robust security configuration - and you've been on the wrong track since you setup your current configuration.

1. ESET already has exploit mitigation.
2. ESET already has a HIPS.
3. In my opinion, ESET and NVT OSArmor/SpyShelter is already more than sufficient.

I understand that you are accompanying your configuration with different security software so you cover areas that another one may not cover as well/at all, but in my opinion, it is just a bad idea when you already have a suite on the environment (if you're using ESET NOD32, it still has a lot of functionality, even if it isn't a full-blown Internet Security). That being said, I think that you're playing Russian Roulette by making a layered security configuration manually through different security software when HitmanPro.Alert is included in the equation (sorry SOPHOS).

In my opinion, all you need to do is keep ESET for real-time protection (which would include its other real-time protection components - for exploit mitigation, ransomware protection, UEFI bootkit scanning, etc.) and leave NVT OSArmor alongside it if you really feel it is necessary. That would be more than sufficient and robust in my opinion - combined with safe practices carried out by no one else other than the user/s of the machine because no security software can save an ignorant and click-happy user.

Please take a look at the following links.
Q&A - HitmanPro.Alert actually encrypts key strokes in the browser.
Q&A - HitmanPro.Alert actually encrypts key strokes in the browser.

The paranoia can get to all of us sometimes - the only way to stop it and take back control is to fight back and say no to the overkill configuration.

Bozalosc

Level 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2018
HitmanPro.Alert cryptoguard failed against petya, which attacks the MBR(Master Boot Record), which hitmanpro.alert claims to protect.
Q&A - HitmanPro.Alert CryptoGuard Vs. Petya, it lost.
HitmanPro.Alert Ransomware Scanner, Anti-Exploit Tool | Download HMP.Alert with CryptoGuard | hitmanpro.com
"HitmanPro.Alert also blocks unwanted encryption of the boot drive, another tactic used by hackers to get money. All of this is done without any needed user interaction."
Unless I did something completely wrong it failed, and if i did tell me and i'll try to fix it to the best of my abilities.

E

Eddie Morra

Unless I did something completely wrong it failed, and if i did tell me and i'll try to fix it to the best of my abilities.
When you performed the test...

1. Was there any other security software present on the test environment (be it installed and disabled or enabled)?
2. Did you perform a full system reboot on the test environment after installation of HitmanPro.Alert before performing the test?
3. Was the latest version of HitmanPro.Alert being used?

Bozalosc

Level 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2018
When you performed the test...

1. Was there any other security software present on the test environment (be it installed and disabled or enabled)?
2. Did you perform a full system reboot on the test environment after installation of HitmanPro.Alert before performing the test?
3. Was the latest version of HitmanPro.Alert being used?
No just Shadow Defender which was disabled, otherwise the system would've rebooted.
Yes I preformed a full system reboot on the test enviroment after the installation.
The version of HitmanPro.Alert used was 3.7.9 build 765, which you can see in the video when i start it up.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't want the protection of MBAE because it is lacking in several aspects, it doesn't allow to add a large list of applications that I want to protect, its interface is very limited.
@bribon77 See above.
Emet or Malwarebytes-anti exploit.
It's not compatible on Windows 10 after Fall Creators Update, blocked by Microsoft. Also there some Exploit Prevention settings under Windows Security. And finally it was discontinued in July 2018. So what use is EMET??
Please read: Microsoft To Block EMET in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update -- Redmondmag.com

@MeltdownEnemy If it works perfectly, why switch? Get a renewal.

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
Instead of adding more software's on your system and making your attack surface larger i would suggest to learn
how to use Eset HIPS.
And if your aren't using EIS then you can add Spyshelter.
Just my opinion though but for less is better

I only have using Eset nod32 AV, without smart neither premium features, The EHIPS isn't so good vs Exploit and keyloggers, the hips it is so tedious at manual mode in the most programs and websites. righnow im using NVTOA whyle HMPA expired until get money to buy another license.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@MeltdownEnemy Eset HIPS on Automatic Mode doesn't offer great protection.
You have first to set it to Learning Mode and launch the programs you use so that HIPS will create rules.
After that you have to set to Interactive Mode and then nothing unknown will be allowed to launch.
Yes Interactive Mode at first produces many alerts.
If you think that's overwelming i suggest you should look for another AV that is more frindly in your case.
In my case i had learning for 3 days and i after that i set it to Interactive.
HIPS alerts were minimal but i do have safe browsing habits.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Ive solved the keylogger vulnerability with the protection of spyshelter in my system against keylogger rootkits and hooks,
(...)
Spyshelter it's better than HMPA against hooks and Encryption keys on my experience, it also preventing the desktop screenshots and stealing text attack (copy-paste).

But Hitman it's better protecting through navigators remote attacks and against malicious exe-dll vulnerabilities comming from signed known companies that sometimes i download from free sources and promo giveaways suspict of cheater setup programmers.​
Interesting statement...but would you explain what you mean talking about highlighted "vulnerabilities"? This are some specific gaps in SS protection?...or specific signers/certificates? Maybe settings you/ve made were not sufficient to your needs?...maybe not proper?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.