Any suggestions for Antivirus (1 core/2.20 ghz, 256MB RAM)

h00lks

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 26, 2015
Hello,
Do you have any suggestion for a Pc with 1 core with 2.20 ghz
256 mb ram and 80 gb hdd it's for one fried that dont have internet but hee get's viruses for CD or DVD with games

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
Man, not much to be done with 256 MB of ram & no internet... Taking that into consideration, an antivirus product would not be the ideal because many products require more than 256 MB of ram & must be connected to the internet so that it can download the daily definitions. I'd actually disable autorun which will considerable decrease the chances of getting infected. Hope this helped :)

Here's how you disable autorun.

1. Click Start, type Gpedit.msc in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  2. Under Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand Windows Components, and then click Autoplay Policies.
  3. In the Details pane, double-click Turn off Autoplay.
  4. Click Enabled, and then select All drives in the Turn off Autoplay box to disable Autorun on all drives.
  5. Restart the computer.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
At 256 MB of RAM, not a lot can be done! Like @Paul Lee said, antiviruses must be connected to the internet to download the daily definitions, plus you need an internet connection to download the antivirus itself! What OS do you have? Windows, Linux, Mac? You could
1) Disable Autorun as @Paul Lee said
2) Run Windows Defender on his system (it should be installed by default)
3) Download Emsisoft Emergency Kit onto a USB/CD drive and plug it into his system, and scan every day or two and remove the threats.

These are the only few options I can think of.

Reactions: FreddyFreeloader
L

LabZero

You may use Kaspersky Rescue Disk that allows you to perform a scan of your system to BIOS level

To create Kaspersky Rescue Disk, follow the instructions below:

1) download the .ISO file whit another PC web connected here : http://www.kaspersky.com/free-tools
2) copy the file .ISO files on a removable drive.

3) now start the BIOS menu. Normally you can do this by clicking and holding the button (sometimes the keys F1, F2, Esc, F11 and F12 can be used in place of other combinations)
4) in BIOS, select Boot and drive that contains the image Rescue Disk. Save your settings by pressing F10 and Enter on your keyboard, then restart your computer with the included removable media drive (CD, DVD or memory stick)
5) follow the instructions of Kaspersky Rescue Disk to load the graphic mode. From the graphical user interface, start scanning.

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
he uses Windows xp nothing more can't be runned on this pc :D we try vista but the ram is on 90 % with only one opened folder :D
Craig's List, eBay, garage sales, flea markets, you are bound to find a better machine there.

Reactions: LabZero

sonylxn

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2015
what about nod32 v.2 (if i'm not mistaken) ? is it still available and good?

Reactions: Ink

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
One of the concern here is the RAM capacity in order to accumulate the antivirus well; + AV needs to a throughly maintainance in order to download offline updates and install it.

Likely you may download McShield (not an AV) to prevent any autorun attacks from any removable drives except (CD/DVD) which likely another scanner as mentioned like Emsisoft Emergency Kit.

But likely for better security reason, those CD/DVD must be disinfect on another computer with internet connectivity before inserting in your friend PC.

Reactions: LabZero

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I used a 256MB RAM, Pentium 4 machine till the beginning of last year. I could run Avast with no problems, but I wasn't still satisfied about the performance. Because every MB mattered.

So I ditched my antivirus, and started to use Sandboxie. That way you are still protected. You can mostly install games in Sandboxie, scan the files using an on-demand scanner like MBAM and simply copy the files to the drive you want.

My best advice is for you to try Linux, particularly Puppy Linux, because it will run at blazing speed with your configuration. LUbuntu has more features and is light too, but it won't have the same performance as Puppy Linux on 256MB, but at 512MB RAM it's great.

So ask him to keep his system on dual boot: for browsing, connecting flash drives and most tasks ask him to use Linux, and for playing games use Windows with Sandboxie.

Last edited:

h00lks

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 26, 2015
I used a 256MB RAM, Pentium 4 machine till the beginning of last year. I could run Avast with no problems, but still I wasn't still satisfied about the performance. Because every MB mattered.

So I ditched my antivirus, and started to use Sandboxie. That way you are still protected. You can mostly install games in Sandboxie, scan the files using an on-demand scanner like MBAM and simply copy the files to the drive you want.

My best advice is for you to try Linux, particularly Puppy Linux, because it will run at blazing speed with your configuration. LUbuntu has more features and is light too, but it won't have the same performance as Puppy Linux on 256MB, but at 512MB RAM it's great.

So ask him to keep his system on dual boot: for browsing, connecting flash drives and most tasks ask him to use Linux, and for playing games use Windows with Sandboxie.
hmm i will try with avast but like i know even on more powerfull pc this softwere is junk
i use it on my pc for 1 moth cant catch anything .
and after i start MB i have 125 trojans :D

h00lks

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 26, 2015
Yep about 2 days ago I clean them I collect them for one company

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Yep about 2 days ago I clean them I collect them for one company

You should have set various parameters for Avast like PUP detection, scanning inside archives and the like so that it can catch those malwares. I don't use Avast now, I stuck with Qihoo 360.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.