Advice Request Anybody tried the Comodo AdBlockers lately?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Comodo has multiple adblockers, one freestanding for Windows (Comodo AdBlocker Desktop), two extensions for the Chromium browser family (one based on AdBlockPlus and one based on UBlock), and one each for Android and iOS.

Which Ad Blocker

(Despite the reference there to an extension for Firefox, I find no evidence that there is a Comodo adblocker extension in the Mozilla store now.)

It's been discussed here at an old thread.

It appears that this is one set of freewares that Comodo hasn't orphaned yet! (**fingers crossed**)

Since Maxthon is my default browser, I am only interested in the Desktop. I currently use freestanding AdMuncher, but it misses a lot of ads. Has anybody been using any of the Comodo adblockers lately?

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
The UI of Comodo's Adblocker seems ripped from Ublock.. Never been an adblocker user, but from my knowledge, AdGuard and Ublock are the best ones. Heard good things about the original adblock as well. :)

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
uBlock Origin is the best, this one looks like a copy of it. Also latest version of this Comodo extension is from 22 jun 2016 looks like they ain't touching it anymore.

Also the link to the installer is dead

ocJoZCY.png

I advise to not install what it looks like outdated / abandoned software

Last edited:

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
Ublock is Open source and this is literally Ublock with the Comodo paint job. As stated above, most of their side projects like this are always behind in versions, and generally buggy, so i would stick to the Original.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I certainly repect AdGuard, but when I had a giveaway of it a few years ago it was too hard on the CPU usage on my old Dell. Has it gotten any better in that department?
I noticed that too. I have AdGuard (May giveaway) and it consumes more ram than EAM and AppCheck combined.
Perhaps something is conflicting with Adguard. Have you guys tried excluding Adguard from every security software you may have?

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Depends on the memory you have available, I have plenty so this is not high for me, here look:
View attachment 152493

I would be interested in seeing the CPU Time for that, with Task Manager or Process Explorerset up to show the processes ranked top to bottom in that tab. it would be the real telling stat. Like this:

Pr3qv6.png

As you can see, I have a big problem now with a Panda Pro service, so much that I may have to switch AVs.

I noticed that too. I have AdGuard (May giveaway) and it consumes more ram than EAM and AppCheck combined.

i don't really remember if I had a problem with AdGuard on RAM. if I did, it was a vastly lesser concern than the processing.

Ublock is Open source and this is literally Ublock with the Comodo paint job. As stated above, most of their side projects like this are always behind in versions, and generally buggy, so i would stick to the Original.

As I said, I'm not interested now in a Chrome extension. I want a freestanding adblocker.

Perhaps something is conflicting with Adguard. Have you guys tried excluding Adguard from every security software you may have?

Thanks for the suggestion for future reference.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I would be interested in seeing the CPU Time for that, with Task Manager or Process Explorerset up to show the processes ranked top to bottom in that tab. it would be the real telling stat. Like this:

Pr3qv6.png

As you can see, I have a big problem now with a Panda Pro service, so much that I may have to switch AVs.

i don't really remember if I had a problem with AdGuard on RAM. if I did, it was a vastly lesser concern than the processing.

As I said, I'm not interested now in a Chrome extension. I want a freestanding adblocker.

Thanks for the suggestion for future reference.
I'm working on a script for my Logitech gaming keyboard as I type this, I have process explorer installed, I will post more detailed info for you or PM you with it as soon as I am done with this script. Sorry for not including it before but you never know
how sincere a poster is or their interest. I know your pretty cool so I will provide it brother, just let me finish this lil project.
EDIT, well never mind, thanks @WinXPert ;)

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Yes it is much lighter in the newer versions. Just use the trial version and test it urself. :)

Thanks for passing that on.

I'm working on a script for my Logitech gaming keyboard as I type this, I have process explorer installed, I will post more detailed info for you or PM you with it as soon as I am done with this script. Sorry for not including it before but you never know
how sincere a poster is or their interest. I know your pretty cool so I will provide it brother, just let me finish this lil project.
EDIT, well never mind, thanks @WinXPert ;)

Thanks. Please do go ahead and show us that once you finish your project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.