Anyone else here obsessed with security?

Captain Awesome

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 7, 2016
1. Be sure do a full back up of your system on a regular basis. The best way to clean up an infected file is to replace it with an original non-infected file. Not to mention the grief a current back up will save if a virus takes your system completely down. It's also a good idea to keep more than one set of backup in case the current one is infected before the virus is detected.

2. Always use an anti-virus software program, one with both an on-demand and an on-access scanner. You'll want to look for one that has a fairly complete database of viruses and that is updateable. New viruses are produced daily, so it's important to have software that can detect the latest threat.

3. Update the virus database in your anti-virus program regularly.

4. Don't allow your web browser to automatically run programs, such as MS Word or other programs through its e-mail program. Configure your browser to launch WordPad or Notepad instead. One of the biggest and growing threats is the macro virus, which is spread through data processing and spread sheet programs.

5. Configure your web browsers to disable ActiveX, Java, and Javascript. You'll lose some of the fun the Web's been known for, but you'll save your computer from contracting a virus and speed up your connection.

6. Know that the only way a virus spreads is either by launching an infected file or by booting an infected disk. You can not get a virus by simply being online or by reading e-mail. You have to download and launch an infected file before it will spread. Therefore, do not launch any unsolicited executable files sent via e-mail.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I don't know that I would equate someone wanting to learn how to better secure their system
with being "obsessed" with security, but I do consider myself obsessed in the fact that I am always searching for and chasing
the "next big breakthrough" in security software.
good post ng4ever.
PeAcE

N

Noxx

I've always been intrigued by it. I've told the story many times on the forum, blowing up my computer so many times as a child screwing around with malware, AV's... Unfortunately, I can't code, as I just don't have the smarts for it, so I never really got around to making a career out of my childhood exploits. Nevertheless, I continue to be intrigued by cybersecurity, and probably always will be.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Not obsessed, but keen.

I'd go along with that ....

..... but in the world as it is Post-Snowden , "keen" has gone to " fascinated " , or beyond for me .

Privacy and security are constantly under attack .... not least from commercial entities
... a "certain" social-network , a "well-known" search engine , a once-trusted OS ...

I certainly pay much more attention to network traffic than ever before ..... all praise and kudos to Wireshark !

That's how it is for me in 2016 AD ..... or the year 03 PS maybe ? :)

Last edited:

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I think I'm not obsessed with security, I just like to learn how work Security, how work malwares, how to protect my PC from malwares, and also test my security configuration against malwares, with several anti-malwares tools (well known or new to test). I also like to analyse malwares behavior, how malwares try to protect themselves from detection, etc
Omg, I think I'm obsessed with Malwares ... :p

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.