Advice Request Anyone on the new Sophos Home Beta?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

does the web protection and malicious traffic detection inspect https?

I'm not 100% sure on this one, I think it does, but don't hold me to it. @ForgottenSeer 58943 has a lot of experience with SHP, so he might be able to shed some light on the matter.

Thanks for this (only if this doesn’t breach your beta testing Eula) would it be popsicle to share the new settings/configurations you see ?
I'm not sure if there is a non disclosure agreement with this beta, but just to be on the safe side most of the new settings/configuration has to do with additional technology that is derived from the latest HMPA/Intercept X.

I wonder does their web dashboard now allow for integration with their mobile AV as well - this would be a very powerful featue

As far as I can see it currently does not allow this. I do agree that this would be a great option to have. I did send them an email to suggest this feature (I am sure I wasn't the only one) and they did say they would send it to the developers to consider, so hopefully one day we will see this feature.(y)

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Still no way to change the settings w/o internet connection, that's a deal breaker cause sometimes internet doesn't work :( Quarantine was sorely needed. Performance has definitely improved since previous version, but slightly heavy on the boot time.

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
Ya I cannot see them ever adding a firewall to SHP, not to say that it will never happen, but I HIGHLY doubt it. Their approach is comparable to enterprise setups where they want you to use Sophos XG Firewall Home instead.

Does the beta include integration of home endpoint with home XG device, like they do with their enterprise product line ?

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Does the beta include integration of home endpoint with home XG device, like they do with their enterprise product line ?

As far as I know, it doesn't have this capability either. Similarly to the firewall, I think it would be safe to assume that they may never add this feature, just from the fact that one needs a separate computer to run XG firewall Home. Keep in mind while XG firewall is powerful, for home users it may be way over their head to setup, configure and troubleshoot, compared to a standard home router. If they were to add it, they could always add a note beside the feature to state that it "requires XG firewall home to work." Never say never, I myself would love to see this happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Still no way to change the settings w/o internet connection, that's a deal breaker cause sometimes internet doesn't work :( Quarantine was sorely needed. Performance has definitely improved since previous version, but slightly heavy on the boot time.

When does internet 'not work' and why would you happen to need to adjust settings when the internet doesn't work? Very odd.. Especially since almost ALL enterprise/corporate type endpoint suites are settings controlled from web gui's. Since most of the world has 99% uptime or better internet, it really shouldn't be an issue. Especially since most of these products are fire and forget.

Anyway, when SHP v2 comes out I will likely migrate to it from Cylance if Cylance has some signs of blackberry taint.

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
Is there any improvement in their signatures as well ? I don’t know where they get their signatures from but they never were mentioned anywhere as a program with top signatures ( though ML/interceptX should mitigate much of that )

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
What features you want to see getting added in the Sophos Home/Premium in the future? What is missing from the competitor security products targeting home users and which components could be improved? Opinions and feedback does matter. Thanks in advance.

- machine learning so that we get what has been marketed
- AMSI support
- being able to add phone devices to the web dashboard
- as Sophos does not provide a firewall , allow SHP to blend with home edition of XG firewall
- more support for protection against malicious docs, PDFs
- 2FA for your website
- use a sandbox to minimize your own product’s vulnerabilities, as Windows Defender now does
- extend the array of applications in the web dashboard for hitman Pro to protect
- more details on your signatures, which databases do they come from etc

Last edited:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
When does internet 'not work'
Sometimes, especially when I don't want that to happen. I get about 2-3 internet blackouts in a month for about 15 min or so, sometimes more too. So much construction is ongoing in the city it happens. My ISP usually gives a notice in advance when something big needs to be repaired.

why would you happen to need to adjust settings when the internet doesn't work?
Why would anybody want to change settings for any app for that matter? I don't have an answer to that.

Especially since almost ALL enterprise/corporate type endpoint suites are settings controlled from web gui's. Since most of the world has 99% uptime or better internet, it really shouldn't be an issue.
But.......it's aimed at Home users. Or not? I mean they have "Home" in their product name.
This product is great for installing on my friend's/relative's pc/laptops, cause then I wouldn't have to go in person to troubleshoot, when something happens. But I wouldn't use it until it gets full offline control panel.
PS apologies for the late reply, idk how I missed it.

Reactions: Weebarra

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
I actually prefer settings via web dashboard , it leaves less room for error by family members who aren’t expert users and the Config is centrally managed, no need to hop on each machine to config it + remote scans is very nice to have.

Do add two factor authentication to your dashboard though

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I actually prefer settings via web dashboard , it leaves less room for error by family members who aren’t expert users and the Config is centrally managed, no need to hop on each machine to config it + remote scans is very nice to have.

Same. I prefer this as well. For example my son that lives a few miles away can text me and tell me to unquarantine something from Cylance or whatever. It's quite handy. But with SHP the dashboard is way more flexible so I am hoping the beta turns out nicely. Especially since my future with Cylance is so uncertain at this point.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

Me too but in addition to the offline controls. Dashboard is a lifesaver when helping friends/family member, but when I am using the pc I want full control.

Reactions: Weebarra

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
And one more thing @sophos - do start participating at av-comparative, av-test, selabs, mrg - all popular products participate to the majority if not all of these.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.