Raiden

Level 13
Verified
Content Creator
My friends i do not hate any protection products. When I have time i like to make test with antivirus. And after i say my experiences from the product, and my personal opinion. But this i will tell always. If i will pay for one antivirus i want good and light protection. I not want combo with syshardener or OSArmor or WD to i feel secure. If i will use combo i not need to give one euro to be safe.
Oh don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to say your wrong or anything. I agree that everyone should try a product for themselves in order to see if they really like it. Everyone has different expereinces and needs, so it's always important to see for yourself if a particular product meets those needs. (y)

stefanos

Level 24
Verified
Oh don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to say your wrong or anything. I agree that everyone should try a product for themselves in order to see if they really like it. Everyone has different expereinces and needs, so it's always important to see for yourself if a particular product meets those needs. (y)
My coment is not just for you. And sorry. End everytime i will tell my opinions is for persons without experience. Is not for me or persons with experience. Personaly I do not use the antivirus for protection. I use it to have a faster laptop with lower ram than I would have with windows defender. :giggle: I am not care about the protection if is good or not. For this now i use 360TS

Umar.18

Level 2
NO one is right or wrong here. Everyone have rights to express their opinion here. Personal comments and targeted opinions must not be there as they exploit the thread for useful information. In cybersecurity nothing will ever be bullet proof. Take every test and everything else about cybersecurity buzz with a big grain of salt. We are just educating ourselves and learning from experience of our fellows. The purpose of the discussion is to make an informed decision. We are here to help our fellows and visitors to be malware free. So, do not take anything to personal. We are a happy family here.

Andy Ful

Level 48
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
1) I don't trust Microsoft with security.
2) I don't trust Microsoft with privacy.
If the user has installed Windows (especially Windows 10), then those points are irrelevant already. And it is becoming worse when he/she installs 3-rd party AV.
So it is rather the viewpoint of someone who uses Chromebook. :giggle:
But many users would probably post:
1) I don't trust Google with security (especially from Google Play Store).
2) I don't trust Google with privacy.

It seems that Panda Dome Advanced is directed not for home users, but rather for small businesses via network protection capabilities.

By the way, how is Panda or Sophos (UTM) firewall as compared to Chromebook firewall?

Last edited:

stefanos

Level 24
Verified
If the user has installed Windows (especially Windows 10), then those points are irrelevant already. And it is becoming worse when he/she installs 3-rd party AV.
So it is rather the viewpoint of someone who uses Chromebook.:giggle:
By the way, how is Chromebook firewall as compared to SHP?
I am 3 days with windows defender with ConfigureDefender_x64. i am really impressed. ;)

Glashouse

Level 4
Verified
By the way, how is Panda or Sophos (UTM) firewall as compared to Chromebook firewall?
Sorry I missed this one.
I think you can't compare an endpoint FW with a network Firewall like the Sophos UTM or XG. The capabilities are different...
Personally I use the Sophos XG with Avira and Sophos engine active and I like it.

Andy Ful

Level 48
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Sorry I missed this one.
I think you can't compare an endpoint FW with a network Firewall like the Sophos UTM or XG. The capabilities are different...
Personally I use the Sophos XG with Avira and Sophos engine active and I like it.
I meant to compare the network security on Chromebook (without external firewall device), with firewall security via external devices (for example Sophos UTM Home, Sophos UTM or Sophos XG).(y) Do external devices add significantly to network security of Chromebook (like for Windows OS)?

Zartarra

Level 1
Hello

I am using / testing Sophos Home Premium on a virtual Windows 10 machine. For the moment I have some mixed feelings about the product. I used the AMTSO, Wicar, fortiguard, Cyren and basic Eicar test.

The results for Mozilla Firefox:
AMTSO: 14/16
Wicar: 13/13
Metal.fortiguard: 1/18
Cyren: 4/9
Eicar http: 4/4
Eicar https: 0/4

I used Brave browser as second. Sophos can't work with Brave I guess. The test results are 0 for all tests.

I also tested the web-protection for malware and phishing links. The results are:
Malware links: 33/36
Phishing links: 8/10, maybe lucky?

To test the ransomware protecting, I used 2 ransomware simulators from Ransim. The results are good.
Ransim 1: 13/13
Ransim 2: 13/14

The strange thing is it cannot clean all the threats. Sometimes I get the following message: Threat not cleaned up or Threat partially clean-up, for example with the Eicar testfiles. I need to manually delete the files.

I cannot detect downloaded threats that are compressed. Malicious test archives with the extension 7z, cab, rar, tar, zip are not blocked.

An other thing is it seems it cannot detect HTTPS threats and web-filter is not working for HTTPS sites.

So if someone has test results from real threats, I am happy to hear it :).

My trial period is almost ending. So I have to decide to buy it or not. For the moment I can buy with a 50% discount from the site. Suggestions are welcome.

Greetings

Zartarra

Slyguy

Level 42
Verified
See for example here: https://malwaretips.com/threads/mixed-threats-20-10-05-2019.92401/#post-814222
Why buy something you're not completely sure of?
Psst. No product protected from that test sample. Also keep in mind, that test doesn't factor some of the holy grail aspects of SHP. Any use of the hub to validate or invalidate products is flawed logic, generally speaking. SHP is going to be vastly more than enough for almost anyone. It's enterprise grade for the most part.

@Andy Ful : sorry, I misunderstood that. From my point of view, an external FW or UTM is not giving much benefit to Chromebooks. I just checked, and there are no special IPS / IDS rules for Chrome OS on the Sophos XG. On top the threat landscape regarding Malware is quite small.
Zero benefit of a UTM for Chromebooks IMO.. Not a single IPS signature to address anything a Chromebook could have trouble with. Web Filtration isn't needed as nothing is going to launch that is worrysome (Just uBlock is fine). For public/hotel WiFi just use a VPN on it.

So the reality is, you just don't need any precaution with a Chromebook other than either don't use Google Play Apps, and be careful of what extensions are installed. Otherwise? Nada. Chromebooks are my 'take everywhere' laptops where I have no fear of anything, including connecting to any random networks and surfing high risk sites.

• Wow
Reactions: Handsome Recluse

silversurfer

Level 52
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Psst. No product protected from that test sample. Also keep in mind, that test doesn't factor some of the holy grail aspects of SHP. Any use of the hub to validate or invalidate products is flawed logic, generally speaking. SHP is going to be vastly more than enough for almost anyone. It's enterprise grade for the most part.
We know enough about your biased opinions (not always facts), Your logic is that all products are recommended by yourself are great forever ;)

Raiden

Level 13
Verified
Content Creator
@Zartarra

I agree with @oldschool and @Gandalf_The_Grey that if you aren't happy with something (when using the trial), it doesn't mean you have to purchase the product, that's the beauty of trials.;) With trials you can give a product a try to see if you like it. If you do, you can purchase it, if you don't, you don't have to and you won't be out any money.(y)

I use SHP (Sophos Home Premium) on and off and overall I think it's a great program. I don't think you can go wrong with it, but again, if you aren't happy, nor comfortable using it, then maybe it's not for you. In regards to testing, it's always important to take any test (HUB, professional, or else where) with a grain of salt. It's not to say that they don't provide any value, or you should ignore them, but rather realize that test results and testing in general don't always represent whats happening in the real world. HUB tests for example focus on zero day malware (or as close to zero day as possible), but the chances of a home user running into zero day malware is pretty small in the real world, unless you purposefully go looking for it.:p

SHP overall has very good protection (has improve a lot from the previous version) and probably one of the best web protection out there. It is a bit weak against scripts, so if it has a failure point that's it. You can simply fill this gap either by using something like OSArmor, or harden Windows with something like Syshardener, Hard Configurator, etc...

As to AMTSO, I have run these tests using SHP and in my experience I know for a fact that all of the tests (with the exception of the phishing test) all work on Edge (current version), Chrome and Firefox. With browsers like Brave and Vivaldi for example, I think whats happening is that SHP doesn't fully support these browsers, hence why it's not detecting the tests like it would in Chrome. This is mostly due to the fact that they aren't as widely used as Chrome, FF, or Edge. Most companies tend to focus on the most popular browsers, so there's not guarantee that any vendor will work with every browser out there. I've recently tried SHP with the new upcoming Edge browser based on Chromium and like Brave the tests don't work as intended as the new browser isn't fully supported in SHP yet, but I''m sure once it's released it will be supported.

Keep in mind with the ATMSO tests, they are just a simple test to see if a particular protection is working or not, it doesn't guarantee overall protection. Some of it may be due to compatibility like SHP and Brave for example and some of the time vendors just don't care, or see the point in detecting these tests. For example I know that Emsisoft has cloud protection, but it doesn't detect the ATMSO cloud test, quite simply because Emsisoft doesn't feel like they need to flag that test, but the product itself does have that protection capability.

At the end of the day, take advantage of the various trial periods that the various vendors have and find a product you like. If at the end of the day you like SHP better out of all the ones you tried, you can purchase a license then. I know they have a great sale on now, but from what I've seen in the past, these sales usually last for a fairly long time and if it does end, it usually comes back in short order.:)(y)

Last edited: