Zartarra

Level 1
@Zartarra

I agree with @oldschool and @Gandalf_The_Grey that if you aren't happy with something (when using the trial), it doesn't mean you have to purchase the product, that's the beauty of trials.;) With trials you can give a product a try to see if you like it. If you do, you can purchase it, if you don't, you don't have to and you won't be out any money.(y)

I use SHP (Sophos Home Premium) on and off and overall I think it's a great program. I don't think you can go wrong with it, but again, if you aren't happy, nor comfortable using it, then maybe it's not for you. In regards to testing, it's always important to take any test (HUB, professional, or else where) with a grain of salt. It's not to say that they don't provide any value, or you should ignore them, but rather realize that test results and testing in general don't always represent whats happening in the real world. HUB tests for example focus on zero day malware (or as close to zero day as possible), but the chances of a home user running into zero day malware is pretty small in the real world, unless you purposefully go looking for it.:p

SHP overall has very good protection (has improve a lot from the previous version) and probably one of the best web protection out there. It is a bit weak against scripts, so if it has a failure point that's it. You can simply fill this gap either by using something like OSArmor, or harden Windows with something like Syshardener, Hard Configurator, etc...

As to AMTSO, I have run these tests using SHP and in my experience I know for a fact that all of the tests (with the exception of the phishing test) all work on Edge (current version), Chrome and Firefox. With browsers like Brave and Vivaldi for example, I think whats happening is that SHP doesn't fully support these browsers, hence why it's not detecting the tests like it would in Chrome. This is mostly due to the fact that they aren't as widely used as Chrome, FF, or Edge. Most companies tend to focus on the most popular browsers, so there's not guarantee that any vendor will work with every browser out there. I've recently tried SHP with the new upcoming Edge browser based on Chromium and like Brave the tests don't work as intended as the new browser isn't fully supported in SHP yet, but I''m sure once it's released it will be supported.

Keep in mind with the ATMSO tests, they are just a simple test to see if a particular protection is working or not, it doesn't guarantee overall protection. Some of it may be due to compatibility like SHP and Brave for example and some of the time vendors just don't care, or see the point in detecting these tests. For example I know that Emsisoft has cloud protection, but it doesn't detect the ATMSO cloud test, quite simply because Emsisoft doesn't feel like they need to flag that test, but the product itself does have that protection capability.

At the end of the day, take advantage of the various trial periods that the various vendors have and find a product you like. If at the end of the day you like SHP better out of all the ones you tried, you can purchase a license then. I know they have a great sale on now, but from what I've seen in the past, these sales usually last for a fairly long time and if it does end, it usually comes back in short order.:)(y)
Raiden

Thank you for the information. For the moment I installed SHP (still in trail) and Rehips. I used SysHardener and local Group policies to configure the other settings.

For the moment I am not looking purposefully for zero day malware :).

I used in the past Sophos UTM free version and I liked the product. So that is why I am testing the SHP. A plus is that Sophos have a great support. Every ticket I send, the next business day i got a answer.

Raiden

Level 13
Verified
Content Creator
Raiden

Thank you for the information. For the moment I installed SHP (still in trail) and Rehips. I used SysHardener and local Group policies to configure the other settings.

For the moment I am not looking purposefully for zero day malware :).

I used in the past Sophos UTM free version and I liked the product. So that is why I am testing the SHP. A plus is that Sophos have a great support. Every ticket I send, the next business day i got a answer.
No problem, glad I could help!

I since you are using Syshardener and Rehips along side SHP, you have all your bases covered. You are already covering the one area (scripts) that SHP is a weak in.(y)

Always remember that at the end of the day it is you that has to be happy. So if you are happy using SHP and it meets your needs, I don't see any reason to switch IMHO. As I've always said, tests are fun and all, they can provide some useful/interesting information, but they aren't they end all be all. I really wouldn't loose too much sleep over them. I really haven't read any reports of mass infections from people using SHP, so it must be doing it's job fairly well.;)

As to their support, I agree. I've actually been quite impressed with it, like you, they are pretty prompt to reply to emails.(y)

Level 4
Sophos has always been one of my Fav AV's & their Home Premium is outstanding.

Sophos is one of the truly big AV companies out there & IMO one of the best for detection, especially for ransonware - Sophos is very popular for buisinesses.

Now they have all the AI protection, managed console & have introduced HMP.Alert features such as its encrypting keylogs etc - its just a super all around product.

Currently on 10 devices > 50% off.

I recommend everyone at least give Sophos Home Premium a try if you havn't - or havn't lately.

Minimilistic in design is also just what i like.

Attachments

Last edited:

Level 4
Sophos has always been one of my Fav AV's & their Home Premium is outstanding.

Sophos is one of the truly big AV companies out there & IMO one of the best for detection, especially for ransonware - Sophos is very popular for buisinesses.

Now they have all the AI protection, managed console & have introduced HMP.Alert features such as its encrypting keylogs etc - its just a super all around product.

Currently on 10 devices > 50% off.

I recommend everyone at least give Sophos Home Premium a try if you havn't - or havn't lately.

Minimilistic in design is also just what i like.
I was actually gonna pick up another 2yr sub, but as soon as i tried - the 50% off went down to 40%

Morally, I dont think i can now knowing it was cheaper just 8hrs ago. BAH! :mad:

blackice

Level 8
Verified
Does anybody running Sophos Premium run it with NVT OSArmor? That should cover the script weaknesses shouldn’t it?

Andrew3000

Level 4
Verified
Malware Tester
Does anybody running Sophos Premium run it with NVT OSArmor? That should cover the script weaknesses shouldn’t it?
I tried some time ago and everything worked correctly, but now I can't tell you if there are compatibility problems. But I don't think so.

Reactions: Raiden

Raiden

Level 13
Verified
Content Creator
It will run fine along side SHP without any issues. I run OSA along side SHP and I have yet to have any issues. OSA will definitely fill in the gap when it comes to scripting malware, which is SHP's weakness atm, but then again I would say that a lot of security programs also struggle with this, not just SHP.

One thing you can do to minimize conflicts with OSA (applies to most products) is to exclude 4 of it's processes. This was a suggestion from the NVT developer himself. If I'm not mistaken he said it technically shouldn't be necessary, but just to be on the safe side, one should exclude OSA''s processes to minimizes any chances of a conflict happening. (y) :)

Last edited:

blackice

Level 8
Verified
Sophos is very strong and valid product. If they will fix the performance issue probably it will be my first choice.
When I tried Sophos home, it blocked practically everything
Yeah, I mistakenly thought @stefanos had posted their older review of the protection. He actually posted their performance review, which is much more helpful. Made a mess trying to edit the post on my phone too, but I fixed it.

I plan to give SHP a try here soon when things calm down around the house. Doing some small renovations for baby #2 coming at the end of the summer.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 8
Verified
My understanding is that after the system has done some caching, after the first day or so of instillation, memory usage drops significantly. I wonder if they let that happen before they did this. Judging by the memory usage shown they either didn’t, or the system doesn’t settle the way people say it does.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

stefanos

Level 23
Verified
My understanding is that after the system has done some caching, after the first day or so of instillation, memory usage drops significantly. I wonder if they let that happen before they did this. Judging by the memory usage shown they either didn’t, or the system doesn’t settle the way people say it does.
look the boot 50 c ;) And when i tested SHP for one week i saw the same results. Huge ram and very slow boot

Interesting, I thought that was their older review of Sophos Premium, until I realized it was a performance review. Very interesting.
8-6-2019 is the video