conceptualclarity

Level 19
Content Creator
Verified
Antivirus
ESET
I have had it happen several times that I install a new program and it butchers my context menu. This week I installed BulkZip and all of a sudden found many context menu entries gone, especially on the .exe context menu. Uninstalling BulkZip didn't bring anything back.

I also specifically remember I had a really bad case of this with the program FileMenu Tools.

Right now my anti-virus, Advanced System Care Ultimate, has been knocked out of the context menu for files but not for folders. I can't see any place to correct that on the ACSU GUI.

Is there anything you can do to protect your context menu from being ripped up by a new program? Any program that would protect against that? I think it's really obnoxious for a program to do that. Of course, I have no way to predict when it will happen.

I've thought about suggesting to the developer of WinPatrol that he add protection from such meddling as a program feature.

Have other people had this experience?

Spawn

Administrator
MalwareTips Staff
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Microsoft

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 37
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Kaspersky
Following a routine app update for my wife's ESET Smart Security suite, the ESET icon disappeared from the task bar; and a window appeared which warned :eek:"ESET is unable to communicate with kernel".

One method, in order to have a ready <reset> button stand-by prior to when installations go awry, could be to activate a virtualization program such as Shadow Defender or Toolwiz's free Timefreeze Toolwiz Time Freeze Download

Edit: In this way one can wittness the effects of the winds of change to a system before committing to the change.;)

Last edited:

conceptualclarity

Level 19
Content Creator
Verified
Antivirus
ESET
Thanks, gentlemen.

Are you able to repair install Advanced SystemCare Ultimate?
I don't think so. It's a one-year giveaway, so I don't think I could repair install it. It's working really well for me on this system, better than other AVs have, so I don't want to risk losing it.

Thanks for those links. I'm sure I'll find something useful there. Raymond CC, what a fine website.

What about creating a backup of your Context Menu, using the Registry Editor (File > Export)? (How to Clean the Windows Context Menu via Registry)
Sounds like a great idea, and I look forward to getting into that article. But the context menu is sort of spread out all over the registry, isn't it?

Following a routine app update for my wife's ESET Smart Security suite, the ESET icon disappeared from the task bar; and a window appeared which warned :eek:"ESET is unable to communicate with kernel".
Did you figure out what that was all about?

[QUOTE="Cats-4_Owners-2, post: 438964, member: 15495"One method, in order to have a ready <reset> button stand-by prior to when installations go awry, could be to activate a virtualization program such as Shadow Defender or Toolwiz's free Timefreeze Toolwiz Time Freeze Download[/QUOTE]

Good idea. I did try Shadow Defender last year on a giveaway, and my computer quickly landed in the shop. Some good programs just don't play nice with the old clunker I'm stuck with till I beat this infernal scabies infestation. Forgot to post my specs.

Computer: Dell System B3 Desktop
CPU: Intel Pentium 4-2667 (Northwood, D1)
2666 MHz (20.00x133.3) @ 2657 MHz (20.00x132.9)
Motherboard: DELL 0G1548
Chipset: Intel 845GEV (Brookdale-GEV) + ICH4
Memory: 2048 MBytes @ 166 MHz, 2.5-3-3-7
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
Graphics: Intel 82845G/GL/GV Graphics Controller [DELL]
Intel i845G(L) Integrated, 64 MB
Drive: ST380011A, 78.1 GB, E-IDE (ATA-6)
Drive: HGST HTS545050A7E380, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s <-> USB
Drive: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S, CD-R Writer
Sound: Creative Technology SB Live! Series Audio Processor
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC [A/B/C]
Network: Broadcom 4401 10/100 Integrated Controller
Antivirus: Advanced SystemCare Ultimate 8
Firewall: Windows Firewall
Default Browser: Maxthon

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 37
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Kaspersky
After performing a restore point, ESET is sorted out again.:)
It may be our older Sony Vaio is tiring after it's seemless & dutiful service.
I hope you feel better soon, then you can enjoy thinking about your next system!;D

Last edited: