Anything to do to keep one's context menu from being butchered by a new program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I have had it happen several times that I install a new program and it butchers my context menu. This week I installed BulkZip and all of a sudden found many context menu entries gone, especially on the .exe context menu. Uninstalling BulkZip didn't bring anything back.

I also specifically remember I had a really bad case of this with the program FileMenu Tools.

Right now my anti-virus, Advanced System Care Ultimate, has been knocked out of the context menu for files but not for folders. I can't see any place to correct that on the ACSU GUI.

Is there anything you can do to protect your context menu from being ripped up by a new program? Any program that would protect against that? I think it's really obnoxious for a program to do that. Of course, I have no way to predict when it will happen.

I've thought about suggesting to the developer of WinPatrol that he add protection from such meddling as a program feature.

Have other people had this experience?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Following a routine app update for my wife's ESET Smart Security suite, the ESET icon disappeared from the task bar; and a window appeared which warned :eek:"ESET is unable to communicate with kernel".

One method, in order to have a ready <reset> button stand-by prior to when installations go awry, could be to activate a virtualization program such as Shadow Defender or Toolwiz's free Timefreeze Toolwiz Time Freeze Download

Edit: In this way one can wittness the effects of the winds of change to a system before committing to the change.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: conceptualclarity

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Thanks, gentlemen.

Are you able to repair install Advanced SystemCare Ultimate?

I don't think so. It's a one-year giveaway, so I don't think I could repair install it. It's working really well for me on this system, better than other AVs have, so I don't want to risk losing it.

Thanks for those links. I'm sure I'll find something useful there. Raymond CC, what a fine website.

What about creating a backup of your Context Menu, using the Registry Editor (File > Export)? (How to Clean the Windows Context Menu via Registry)

Sounds like a great idea, and I look forward to getting into that article. But the context menu is sort of spread out all over the registry, isn't it?

Following a routine app update for my wife's ESET Smart Security suite, the ESET icon disappeared from the task bar; and a window appeared which warned :eek:"ESET is unable to communicate with kernel".

Did you figure out what that was all about?

[QUOTE="Cats-4_Owners-2, post: 438964, member: 15495"One method, in order to have a ready <reset> button stand-by prior to when installations go awry, could be to activate a virtualization program such as Shadow Defender or Toolwiz's free Timefreeze Toolwiz Time Freeze Download[/QUOTE]

Good idea. I did try Shadow Defender last year on a giveaway, and my computer quickly landed in the shop. Some good programs just don't play nice with the old clunker I'm stuck with till I beat this infernal scabies infestation. Forgot to post my specs.

Computer: Dell System B3 Desktop
CPU: Intel Pentium 4-2667 (Northwood, D1)
2666 MHz (20.00x133.3) @ 2657 MHz (20.00x132.9)
Motherboard: DELL 0G1548
Chipset: Intel 845GEV (Brookdale-GEV) + ICH4
Memory: 2048 MBytes @ 166 MHz, 2.5-3-3-7
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
Graphics: Intel 82845G/GL/GV Graphics Controller [DELL]
Intel i845G(L) Integrated, 64 MB
Drive: ST380011A, 78.1 GB, E-IDE (ATA-6)
Drive: HGST HTS545050A7E380, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s <-> USB
Drive: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S, CD-R Writer
Sound: Creative Technology SB Live! Series Audio Processor
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC [A/B/C]
Network: Broadcom 4401 10/100 Integrated Controller
Antivirus: Advanced SystemCare Ultimate 8
Firewall: Windows Firewall
Default Browser: Maxthon

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
After performing a restore point, ESET is sorted out again.:)
It may be our older Sony Vaio is tiring after it's seemless & dutiful service.
I hope you feel better soon, then you can enjoy thinking about your next system!;D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.