AppCheck AntiRansomware (Free) - Anyone tried it?

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

Came across the mentioned software below

CheckMAL

It comes with following features

1) Proactive protection on ransomware
2) File damage protection
3) Roll-back ransomware behaviors
4) Real-time backup on file damage
5) Backup folder protection
6) Auto backup with file history

BTW, it is free for personal use. I have done a test against RanSim Ransomware Simulator and it passed ALL the tests.

I wish that somebody can carry out a test with some real ransomwares to see its effectiveness

Thanks

Edit :-

I have corresponded with CheckMAL and the version on their website now is AppCheck which is free for personal use. The AppCheck Pro comes with the additional following features

- MBR Protection
- Shared Folder Protection
- Automatic Ransomware Remediation
- Scheduled Backup
- User defined file extensions for protection.

but at this moment is only available for use within Korea. It'll be available soon for outside Korea so keep checking the website.

Last edited:

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
It's prob a legit app. I don't know about its effectiveness though.

I wouldn't be considered about virustotal fails:

Antiy-AVL Trojan[Ransom]/Win32.Locky.genb 20161225
Cyren W32/ Cerber.AD.gen!Eldorado 20161225
F-Prot W32/ Cerber.AD.gen!Eldorado 20161225

More than likely, false positives.

Thanks!

Reactions: Der.Reisende

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
It's prob a legit app. I don't know about its effectiveness though.

I wouldn't be considered about virustotal fails:

Antiy-AVL Trojan[Ransom]/Win32.Locky.genb 20161225
Cyren W32/ Cerber.AD.gen!Eldorado 20161225
F-Prot W32/ Cerber.AD.gen!Eldorado 20161225

More than likely, false positives.

Thanks!
Actually, F-Prot is now a part of Cyren

F-PROT Antivirus

Reactions: Der.Reisende
K

KGBagent47

3/57 engines detected it as ransomware and that 3 engines are....no name....I supposed. The big guys like Kaspersky, BD, Avira, Norton, AVG, Avast, ESET etc are not detecting the program as such. So likely to be FP
I didn't even mean to download it. I just went to the page to check it out and stupidly assumed the big yellow download button would present a free or paid version option. I checked it first with KSN it listed it as unknown, so then uploaded it on VT and thought is was probably not ransomware but to be safe three detection's on VT is worth noting.

miroo4517

May 14, 2017
I'm a Korean user of AppCheck Anti-Ransomware, that virustotal false positives are wrong. AppCheck Anti-Ransomware is normal anti ransomware program and it protected my computer twice times. And that product is very famous in korea's best security cafe (CheckMAL and Virus Zero Season 2 admins made it) . I guarantee that you will use that product properly. (I'm not good at English. I hope you understood.)

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I'm a Korean user of AppCheck Anti-Ransomware, that virustotal false positives are wrong. AppCheck Anti-Ransomware is normal anti ransomware program and it protected my computer twice times. And that product is very famous in korea's best security cafe (CheckMAL and Virus Zero Season 2 admins made it) . I guarantee that you will use that product properly. (I'm not good at English. I hope you understood.)
Indeed it's a very nice anti-RW. The limitation is that AppCheck Free has lesser provisions especially lacking MBR protection that the paid version has. Still, it is comparable to the best anti-ransomware apps out there. Just make sure to download it only from the official source.
It has been tested quite a few times by @Evjl's Rain in the Malware Hub against ransomware, in case you want to check out.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.