Battle AppCheck or WinAntiRansom or ? How can I Up My Security?

CypherZero

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2017
I'm looking to "up" my security (especially from ZeroDay, Ransomware, etc). and thought I'd seek a few second opinions out there. I try and take a layered approach while "keeping it light" and have had pretty good success thus far.

Here's what I run presently with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit:

Kaspersky - KIS - (with CruelSister's configuration).
HitmanPro Alert (HPA)
VoodooShield
KeyScrambler (yes, I realize HPA offers keystroke encryption - but - I don't believe it encrypts as I'm entering things into ..... LastPass through Chrome, so that's why I added KeyScrambler - it's light, and works great).

I'm considering adding probably "one" (possible two) of these:

AppCheck/AppCheckPro - (I do NOT have an MBR disc, so not concerned about MBR protection).
likes: effectiveness against Ransomware, auto-remediation (in pro)
dislikes: I assume fragments could be left behind following auto-remediation of pro version? Or is that not correct?

WinPatrol War (formerly WinAntiRansom) -
likes: this software looked really strong in CruelSister's 2015 video review and I assume it's only gotten better. More effective than AppCheck?
dislikes: none

ReHips:
dislikes: learning curve? and concerned if this would overly complicate my day-to-day work?

Summary: I think my existing security is pretty decent, and I'm not reckless online, but I also don't believe in underestimating the threat landscape. Ransomware and other exploits are only getting more sophisticated ... and I don't like surprises.

So ... what do you think? Should I consider adding one or more of the 3 programs above? I there a different program you'd recommend adding instead?

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
if I'm forced choose, I would pick Appcheck Free because it's free and as effective as the pro version, except a lack of automatic ransom note cleaner and MBR protection, not a big deal
Kaspersky and HMPA cover MBR protection already, especially HMPA. Furthermore, kaspersky has never failed against MBR ransomwares in behavior blocker tests (realtime protection was disabled) of mine
cruelsister doesn't have her KIS configuration tutorial if I'm not mistaken o_O

your current setup is enough, no need for appcheck or any other antiransomwares
I used KIS 2017 + VS pro in the past. They were a heavy combo, HMPA too. you may not notice that but I can feel the pain with 2 of these products running together :(

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
your current setup is enough, no need for appcheck or any other antiransomwares
I used KIS 2017 + VS pro in the past. They were a heavy combo, HMPA too. you may not notice that but I can feel the pain with 2 of these products running together :(

Agree with @Evjl's Rain's comments 100% :).

Another way of thinking in your situation could perhaps be to look at really tightening up your internet (esp if it's a laptop) security and control and maybe getting creative that way...perhaps Heimdal Pro? KIS is surely good net protection but I feel like they can all improve with internet detection/protection and also with notifications of unusual net behaviors and so on.

Going another direction, I've seen the lifetime WinPatrol bundle with all three programs going for around $150. Super extreme for you considering you would probably have to dump KIS for a straight a-v like Avast and then too get rid of either VS or HMPA. Love to get my hands on the WinPatrol setup for sure pair it with Comodo or maybe Avast. The tests look so good for WinA/R, and the lifetime license looks so good too. :D

Last edited:

CypherZero

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2017
Correction: I custom configured Kaspersky with "VikTik's" Dec 2016 & Jack's May 2016 settings, a one or two of my own - not CruelSister's.
No slowdown or performance impact noticed with KIS+HMPA+VS but I'm running them on a very fast PC.
No MBR on my system, so not concerned there.

re: Heimdal Pro - thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
HMPA is conflicting with KIS's Anti-exploit rendering both useless. You can't disable HMPA's Anti-exploiting so the only choice you have is to disable KIS's, it's in System Watcher.
No need for either of these software, KIS takes care of everything these 2 do.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I too believe that your current config is very strong.
If i wanted to add something that would be Shadow Defender.
If something happens restart and you will be back to normal;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.