Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
List of current issues
Some core Microsoft Store apps do not run (missing data files / path links)
Steps taken, but have been unsuccessful?
Used O&O AppBuster to uninstall and re-install Store apps
Happened some time around late-September / mid-October due to improper use of Geek Uninstaller, some data from AppData/Microsoft is missing.

Is it best to recommend a quick re-install of Windows 10 OS to solve?

Solution
Appdata is part of the user profile, so creating a new user account should solve the problem. It's less work than reinstalling Windows.
If you are on a Microsoft account, you can create a new local account, then delete the non-functioning...

The Cog in the Machine

Level 23
Verified
Happened some time around late-September / mid-October due to improper use of Geek Uninstaller, some data from AppData/Microsoft is missing.

Is it best to recommend a quick re-install of Windows 10 OS to solve?
Do not you have a system backup?
Maybe you can try to reset your PC but I am not sure if you will be able to do so as there are missing Windows files. Maybe the reset feature will ask you to insert Windows DVD so it can fetch the missing files.

Upvote 0

Stopspying

Level 10
I've not used these tools, they were suggested to me when I asked how to deal with a friend's PC which had similar issues. I have not used them because the friend hasn't got back to me on it.

Reactions: Nevi and venustus
Upvote 0

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
Do not you have a system backup?
Maybe you can try to reset your PC but I am not sure if you will be able to do so as there are missing Windows files. Maybe the reset feature will ask you to insert Windows DVD so it can fetch the missing files.
The most recent system backup was prior to the Windows 10 v1809 Update.
Do you have an earlier restore point?
System Restore is disabled, and I chose against using this method to restore any PC running Windows 10.

Upvote 0

Stopspying

Level 10
For anyone faced with this or similar scenarios this article explains the pros and cons of using 'Fresh Start' compared to 'Reset your PC'

Upvote 0

Terry Ganzi

Level 25
Verified
Has anyone tried these measures.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

rebooted and ran sfc /scannow and it was fixed

Next any time a person install windows 10 for the first time they should do this at all times.
just change hxxp to http.

Because it's not enabled from start you have to do it manually. so that if something happen it will be much more reliable to restore anything.
Microsoft disable restore in windows 10, these people never cease to amaze me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Appdata is part of the user profile, so creating a new user account should solve the problem. It's less work than reinstalling Windows.
If you are on a Microsoft account, you can create a new local account, then delete the non-functioning Microsoft account, then convert your local account into your Microsoft account. It will sync back some of your settings and preferences.

Upvote 0
Solution

Stopspying

Level 10
If you are on a Microsoft account, you can create a new local account, then delete the non-functioning Microsoft account, then convert your local account into your Microsoft account. It will sync back some of your settings and preferences.
This is really good advice, I now recall a friend doing this a year or so ago and it sorted the problem out. Hope it works in this case too.

Upvote 0

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
I may leave it until Version 2004 is released, because only a few apps like Photos, Groove Music and Snip & Sketch don't work.

Upvote 0

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
If they are Windows store apps you can reset it in Settings/Apps. Click advanced options and click terminate and then below reset.
GeekUninstaller deleted files under the AppData/Microsoft folder due to human error and tiredness. Resetting the App does nothing to make them work again.

Just curious, what do you use instead of Snip & Sketch?
The previous Win32 version; Snipping Tool, Paint and PrtScr btn

1586293117028.png

Upvote 0

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
Thanks, took a few hours but this fixed the issue.

Solved.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.