Umbra

Level 85
Content Creator
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Default-Deny
I mean, when compared to big antivirus companies whose products pale in comparison to appguard yet the former's earnings are order of magnitudes higher, it really feels unfair and sad
I see, it is because AG is corporate product, so they have less "media visibility" than the big names who sells to home users.

davisd

Level 21
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Default-Deny
as long as Lockdown is here, the company simply cannot fail, it's literally impossible. He'll fight with teeth and nails if he has to, appguard ain't going anywhere, the software itself is like his own brother, and you don't just let your own brother down, no you don't
Why are you trying to make fun of him? Do you even know who he was before joining AppGuard? How many people around he has helped? He's doing hes job as best as he could possibly do and you have gutts to smacktalk him, also in other threads. If you don't like someone's persona you can ignore them and you won't see their posts.

shmu26

Level 70
Content Creator
Verified
OS
Windows 10
I mean, when compared to big antivirus companies whose products pale in comparison to appguard yet the former's earnings are order of magnitudes higher, it really feels unfair and sad. And it's not just appguard, VS for example has barely a few dozen people talking to the developer in the other forum, VS has probably like a few thousand users, maybe a few dozen at best
There is only one good reason to use AppGuard: because you like the product. If you like it, use it. If you don't, so don't use it. It's that simple.

shmu26

Level 70
Content Creator
Verified
OS
Windows 10
If you are using a legit program that launches from c:\temp, then you can add c:\temp to User Space but exclude the legit process that launches from c:\temp. That way anything other than the legit process will be blocked.

It's the same principle as adding Sandboxie's C:\Sandbox to User Space.
What about C:\ I am referring to the root path. Should that be in User space, or this is not needed? If it should be in User space, how to do that without borking the system?

I am surprised that C:\temp is not on the Excubits list.

Lockdown

From AppGuard
Developer
Verified
What about C:\ I am referring to the root path. Should that be in User space, or this is not needed? If it should be in User space, how to do that without borking the system?

I am surprised that C:\temp is not on the Excubits list.
The drive root, X:\, is in System Space. It is so that Guarded processes cannot write to it.

HarborFront

Level 42
Content Creator
Verified
Hmmm......just received an email from AppGuard saying my subscription ends this 28 October 2018. I guess it's for v5.....can't remember I still have AppGuard. They said they'll continue my subscription unless I opt out. :)

Well, I replied to them whether I'll be getting the new Solo v6.....waiting for their reply

HarborFront

Level 42
Content Creator
Verified
OK, Appguard replied

You can renew your current license and continue to use your current version. Your current license will renew for $29.95.

Or we can upgrade your license to Solo.

For the first year it will renew at the current price you purchased from the former AppGuard reseller which was $29.95.

However on the next year renewal (Oct 2019) it will renew at the list price for AppGuard Solo. i.e. $89.95. This is real expensive.

Solo

crezz

Level 4
OS
Other OS
Antivirus
Norton
The product sounds interesting to try out but there is not trial version and it costs $89 USD, which is pretty expensive for a home user. Plus the website contains very little info about the product, although it does make some bold claims about malware protection. I'm not particularly clear what the company does either, or how big it is. I respect the views of people on this forum, but I've not seen any independent reviews or tests to show if the product really works as claimed. Frankly, i'm confused about it and it seems a big risk to splash out $89 based on the information I have. Its not a well known product in the wider community.

Last edited:

Lockdown

From AppGuard
Developer
Verified
The product sounds interesting to try out but there is not trial version and it costs $89 USD, which is pretty expensive for a home user. Plus the website contains very little info about the product or who is behind the company- although it does make some bold claims about malware protection. I respect the views of people on this forum, but I've not seen any independent reviews or tests to show if the product really works as claimed. Frankly, i'm confused about it and it seems a big risk to splash out $89 based on the information I have. Its not a well known product in the wider community.
The pricing is for SMB\commercial customers. There are no trials in the SMB\enterprise space. SMB\enterprise uses the demo model.

Currently we don't pursue the consumer\home user market directly.

The product is SRP. It is pointless to test an SRP product in an AV test lab scenario. It is going to block all the samples.

RoboMan

Level 24
Content Creator
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Bitdefender
The product sounds interesting to try out but there is not trial version and it costs $89 USD, which is pretty expensive for a home user. Plus the website contains very little info about the product, although it does make some bold claims about malware protection. I'm not particularly clear what the company does either, or how big it is. I respect the views of people on this forum, but I've not seen any independent reviews or tests to show if the product really works as claimed. Frankly, i'm confused about it and it seems a big risk to splash out $89 based on the information I have. Its not a well known product in the wider community.
I haven't either seen it in action once, but I've heard great reviews. Anyways, something we've learned over here is never buy something because of a review/test if you haven't tried it yourself...

Umbra

Level 85
Content Creator
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Default-Deny
The product sounds interesting to try out but there is not trial version and it costs $89 USD, which is pretty expensive for a home user. Plus the website contains very little info about the product, although it does make some bold claims about malware protection..
This is a product destined for businesses, not home users, hence the price.
You can get lot of info about it in it the Appguard LLC section on this forum.
AppGuard (AppGuard LLC)

I'm not particularly clear what the company does either, or how big it is
Originally an American security company now recently part of a Japanese cybersecurity consortium. Appguard LLC secure various enterprises and some US Government agencies and military.

I respect the views of people on this forum, but I've not seen any independent reviews or tests to show if the product really works as claimed.
It is a very specialized type of software focused on SMB (for the solo version) so you won't see many reviews in home users medias. I use it since years, it never failed me.

Frankly, i'm confused about it and it seems a big risk to splash out $89 based on the information I have. Its not a well known product in the wider community.
It is an SRP, (software restriction policy) so good knowledge of your system and Windows is required (usually admin level) , because you have to setup your own policy (blocking or allowing various processes/programs), once set, there is no prompts, it just block. it is not an anti-virus. You don't use it at default settings.

Last edited: