Not open for further replies.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I have read elsewhere that version 4.4.6.1 was the last version that Blue Ridge would sell with a lifetime license, and starting with v5, would be using a yearly license subscription.

Any chance of releasing 4.4.6.1 as a freeware, like NVT Exe Radar Pro Beta is, with the understanding that there would be no updates, upgrades, or technical support? I would appreciate it, and I am sure others would.

Thanks

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
That makes no sense from a business point of view because except from the licensing change the 2 versions are identical. So giving away the 4 version for free means they would never get a sale for 5.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
That makes no sense from a business point of view because except from the licensing change the 2 versions are identical. So giving away the 4 version for free means they would never get a sale for 5.

Well, I guess I will stay with NVT Beta.

Sometimes the notion of providing ongoing tech support is enough to make the leap but if the two versions are identical, why bother paying yearly? It would make better sense to still offer the Lifetime at a higher rate, as well as the yearly at reduced cost, and let the user decide what would be more useful or beneficial to him or her based on need.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Well, I guess I will stay with NVT Beta.

Sometimes the notion of providing ongoing tech support is enough to make the leap but if the two versions are identical, why bother paying yearly? It would make better sense to still offer the Lifetime at a higher rate, as well as the yearly at reduced cost, and let the user decide what would be more useful or beneficial to him or her based on need.
The point of the change of the licensing model is to be beneficial to the company, not the user. Most companies no longer offer lifetime licenses because it's not economically viable for them. Lifetime licenses are something companies start with to get a solid base and developement but then they have to eat and keep investors happy which is what the yearly licenses help with.

Everybody has their own personal opinion as to what would be the best licensing model. The fact is that the lifetime license model is on its deathbed because it just isn't economically realistic. The industry trend has been to kill-off lifetime licenses of all types and replace them with annual licenses. An annual subscription model is the most fair solution. It provides a balance that meets the publisher's need to support business operations while at the same time benefitting the end-user.

shadek

Level 1
Aug 20, 2017
Where can I find the latest 4.4.x build? All old links to it are dead and nothing is found at the company's site.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Where can I find the latest 4.4.x build? All old links to it are dead and nothing is found at the company's site.
If you are a paid customer open a support ticket and they will send you the link i assume.

If you are a paid customer open a support ticket and they will send you the link i assume.

I requested that the download link for 4.4.6.1 be taken down due to unauthorized access, unauthorized installs\usage, and a few instances of federal law violations by downloaders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: XhenEd and SHvFl

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I requested that the download link for 4.4.6.1 be taken down due to unauthorized access, unauthorized installs\usage, and a few federal law violations.
Assumed so tbh this is why i suggested he contacts support if he has a license.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.