Apple Can Build the iPhone with Zero Chinese Participation

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
After Huawei, many see Apple as the next big victim of the China vs. the United States trade war.

But even if things get ugly for Apple in China, the Cupertino-based tech giant is fully prepared to make the iPhone elsewhere, according to an official of Hon Hai Precision Industry Co.

Hon Hai, which is the parent company of Foxconn, Apple’s number one partner that helps make the iPhone, can move production out of China if needed, board nominee and semiconductor division chief Young Liu was quoted as saying at an investor briefing in Taipei by Bloomberg.

However, Apple hasn’t requested such a transfer of production capacity from China to other markets, he said, albeit Hon Hai is ready to “respond swiftly” if needed.

“Twenty-five percent of our production capacity is outside of China and we can help Apple respond to its needs in the U.S. market,” Liu noted. “We have enough capacity to meet Apple’s demand.”
The Hon Hai official also revealed that the company is currently investing in its Indian production facilities, suggesting that if needed, more of the iPhone output could come from this country if things get more complicated in China for Apple.

No sanctions against Apple just yet
While the Beijing government is yet to announce any measures against Apple, CEO Tim Cook said in an interview with CBS News that he doesn’t expect the company to be affected by the trade war between China and the United States.

“Well, it currently the Chinese have not targeted Apple at all. And I don't anticipate that happening, to be honest,” he said.

Furthermore, Ren Zhengfei, CEO of troubled Huawei, which has already been banned by the US from working with American companies, said China shouldn’t seek revenge by imposing sanctions against Apple.

“That will not happen, first of all. And second of all, if that happens, I’ll be the first to protest. Apple is my teacher, it’s in the lead. As a student, why go against my teacher? Never,” he said.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
There is lots of hypocrisy around: The UK recently sold £1.1 billion worth of hi-tech arms to Saudi Arabia. The French (third biggest arms dealer on the planet) 1 billion Euro (and growing) to a country hardly known for freedom & treatment of the fairer sex & human rights avoidance & more - It went to the British high court but was deemed 'Lawful' - It's not just China?

• +Reputation
Reactions: ZeroDay and upnorth

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.