Apple Confirms Major Issues With MacBook Keyboards, Offers Free Service

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Apple acknowledged on Friday that some MacBook and MacBook Pro laptops have faulty keyboards and has offered free service to all affected customers.
The problems, as acknowledged by Apple, include situations like the following:

Letters or characters repeat unexpectedly
Letters or characters do not appear
Key(s) feel "sticky" or do not respond in a consistent manner

The company published a list of MacBook models confirmed to be affected by these issues:

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015)
MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016)
MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, 2017)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)

Owners of such devices who encounter one of the issues listed above can visit an Apple Store or authorized service and receive free service for their problems, even a full keyboard replacement, at no cost, Apple said.

The offer for this extended warranty stands only for models listed above, and for four years after the customer has bought his model at retail.

Aerdian

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2018
Thanks for posting! My mom has a MacBook Pro she got a couple months ago. Luckily, it doesn't have any keyboard problems, but I have noticed how loud the keyboard is. It seems to just be the type of keys Apple uses, which I've never liked ever since they came out. A lot of times, people buy laptops to use on-the-go and probably don't want loud plucking on the train, in their office, and wherever else they use it.

Reactions: LASER_oneXM

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.