Apple Could Drop Support for All iPhones Through iPhone 6s with iOS 13

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
iOS 13 is already shaping up as one major update for iPhone and iPads, with Apple said to be working on substantial improvements, but a new report brings bad news for older-generation devices.

Israeli site The Verifier claims the upcoming iOS 13 will drop support for several iPhone models, with Apple planning to go forward only with modern iPhones.

Specifically, iOS 13 will no longer be offered to any iPhone older than iPhone 7, so those who are still on an iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, and iPhone 6s, would stay on iOS 12 forever.

iPhone SE would also be left behind if this report is true.

This is surprising news, to say the least, especially as dropping so many iPhone generations with one iOS release is something that Apple has never done before. In the worst case, I expect Apple to abandon iPhone 5s, but giving up on the 6s and 6s Plus at this point doesn’t seem to make sense.

Full push for modern iPhones
What’s less surprising is that Apple could limit the availability of certain iOS 13 features only to modern-generation iPhones, according to the cited source. This is something to be expected, especially in the case of features that require new hardware.

One of the highly-anticipated iOS 13 features is support for a dark mode, and it’ll certainly be interesting to see if Apple makes it available on all iPhone models or only those with an OLED screen.

Nevertheless, such a strategy could easily backfire, and despite Apple trying to use this as a way to entice customers to upgrade to newer iPhones, some may actually end up migrating to Android.

Apple’s new iOS 13 update is projected to go live in September together with the new iPhone generation, but a thorough look at what it brings new to the table will be offered in the summer at WWDC. Beta builds will also ship to testers starting June or July.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
iOS 12 should have been iOS 11 and Apple played a gimmick saying We support idevices for 5 yrs. Because of that, Modern iphone sales are low and everyone happy to switch to iPhones with TouchId for lower price.

Reactions: brambedkar59

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
If I were to buy a phone from an Apple store, then I would expect it to be supported with security updates for at least 5 years. These are sold as premium phones with high prices to match.

If my iPhone SE is effectively made redundant in September when the next iOS is released there is nothing I can do about it. However, it would put me off buying another iPhone at anytime in the future, especially as there are equally good alternatives which are far less expensive. In fact I would feel cheated.

And this is a company that wants to charge me £1000 UK pounds for a telephone that does 95% of what a mid range Android can do at a quarter of the price.

No thanks!

If I were to buy a phone from an Apple store, then I would expect it to be supported with security updates for at least 5 years. These are sold as premium phones with high prices to match.

If my iPhone SE is effectively made redundant in September when the next iOS is released there is nothing I can do about it. However, it would put me off buying another iPhone at anytime in the future, especially as there are equally good alternatives which are far less expensive. In fact I would feel cheated.

And this is a company that wants to charge me £1000 UK pounds for a telephone that does 95% of what a mid range Android can do at a quarter of the price.

No thanks!
The iPhone SE is not "premium" at all...
The iPhone SE was £359 when it released, not £1000...

Not sure what switching to Android will do either. Apple supports older iPhone models far better than most Android OEMs. More than 80% of iPhones are on iOS 12 or higher while only about 35% of Androids are on Android 8.0 or higher. That means almost 70% of Androids are running software that was released in 2016...

Edit:
The iPhone SE released in 2016 and is still getting iOS 13 in 2019. For comparison, we'll use the Google Pixel which launched the very same year. The Google Pixel received its last Android update in October of 2018 and will receive security updates up until October of 2019. This is exactly on par with Apple. Looking at the Pixel 3 XL, which just released in November of last year; it is only guaranteed updates for 3 years...

This example is also being way to nice. Other Android OEMs are a joke when it comes to supporting their older phones. Especially when it involves U.S. cellular carriers. That is another story on its own.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
The iPhone SE is not "premium" at all...
The iPhone SE was INR 33,584 when it released, not INR 93,550...

Not sure what switching to Android will do either. Apple supports older iPhone models far better than most Android OEMs. More than 80% of iPhones are on iOS 12 or higher while only about 35% of Androids are on Android 8.0 or higher. That means almost 70% of Androids are running software that was released in 2016...

Edit:
The iPhone SE released in 2016 and is still getting iOS 13 in 2019. For comparison, we'll use the Google Pixel which launched the very same year. The Google Pixel received its last Android update in October of 2018 and will receive security updates up until October of 2019. This is exactly on par with Apple. Looking at the Pixel 3 XL, which just released in November of last year; it is only guaranteed updates for 3 years...

This example is also being way to nice. Other Android OEMs are a joke when it comes to supporting their older phones. Especially when it involves U.S. cellular carriers. That is another story on its own.
Pixel is sold only in few countries whereas Apple sells devices worldwide with higher price + Taxes + Import duty than most android phones charge for their phone. If we compare Android OS install base on Pixel only, they are already on Oreo/Pie.

Reactions: Hollow

Hollow

Level 3
Verified
Dec 29, 2018
I have hope that they will expand support upto iPhone 6s :emoji_fingers_crossed:

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I've always wondered why Apple had such a wide LTS on their versioning.. It really does hold them back.

I don't like or use any Apple products, but I always felt they would be better served by progressing versioning to newer hardware rather than supporting ancient devices.

My Android method is simple.. I buy Samsung Phones, use them until they won't upgrade anymore. For example I currently have Galaxy s7 Edge, which are all on Android 8 but that's the end of the road for the s7, no Pie. So I will be purchasing the s8's refurbs in a couple months when they hit $199 and have Pie installed on them and trading in my s7 Edge Refurbs for $100 credit at Amazon. 2-3 years later when the LTS runs out on those I will move on from them. This allows me to avoid huge charges on phones while still having good, relevant, updated, usable technology for only $99 expense every 2-3 years.

It's one of my ways to fight this;

Last edited by a moderator:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I've always wondered why Apple had such a wide LTS on their versioning.. It really does hold them back.

I don't like or use any Apple products, but I always felt they would be better served by progressing versioning to newer hardware rather than supporting ancient devices.

My Android method is simple.. I buy Samsung Phones, use them until they won't upgrade anymore. For example I currently have Galaxy s7 Edge, which are all on Android 8 but that's the end of the road for the s7, no Pie. So I will be purchasing the s8's refurbs in a couple months when they hit INR 14 221 and have Pie installed on them and trading in my s7 Edge Refurbs for INR 7 146 credit at Amazon. 2-3 years later when the LTS runs out on those I will move on from them. This allows me to avoid huge charges on phones while still having good, relevant, updated, usable technology for only INR 7 075 expense every 2-3 years.

It's one of my ways to fight this;

Since Apple makes iphones and SW, I think they must support 7 years with 2 years being security updates being backported to older device to ensure security w/o leaving it in the dust.
Your method of buying phones is wise. Every 2 years you're getting new phone at lowest price with same features.
Have you tried AOSP Pie for S7. Stock android will make you feel Touchwiz is laggy and bloatware. I haven't tried ONE UI.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Since Apple makes iphones and SW, I think they must support 7 years with 2 years being security updates being backported to older device to ensure security w/o leaving it in the dust.
If you support an older device for too long, you're pulling a Microsoft and you end up with a large userbase that won't upgrade (ie. XP and 7 users).
Hardware limitations may prevent new firmware updates
It's just a waste of company resources.

IMO, 4 to 5 years of support is quite reasonable.

However, 1 to 2 years is too little. ---> Google Android.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
If you support an older device for too long, you're pulling a Microsoft and you end up with a large userbase that won't upgrade (ie. XP and 7 users).
Hardware limitations may prevent new firmware updates
It's just a waste of company resources.

IMO, 4 to 5 years of support is quite reasonable.

However, 1 to 2 years is too little. ---> Google Android.
I did state 2 years of additional security only updates which must be backported to older release OR as an out of band release to give that sense of security.
With Google Pixel they give you 3 years of OS update w/ monthly security patches. Then again, there are lot of android phone makers part of Android one program who claim to support for 2 years which cost only half unlike iphone.
Again, there's a flip side where monthly update introduce regressions and unknown bugs.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.