Apple Cuts Production of 2018 iPhones Once Again Due to Dropping Sales

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Apple has decided to cut the production of 2018 iPhone models once again in an attempt to cope with declining sales worldwide.

A report for the Nikkei Asian Review indicates that production has been lowered by 10 percent, and this is the second time in just two months when Apple comes down to such a decision.

The cited source speculates that Apple is playing the safe card as it expects another decline in terms of iPhone sales in the coming months. The production cut was announced shortly after CEO Tim Cook announced revised revenue expectations, the report continues, and it concerns all new iPhone models, including iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR.

“The level of revision is different for each supplier and depends on the product mix they supply,” the source quotes a person familiar with the matter as saying.

Further decline in 2019
Apple is thus reducing production for 2018 iPhones from 47 million units to as low as 40 million units, which itself is a 20 percent drop year-on-year from 52.2 million units sold by Apple between January and March 2018.

Apple suppliers have also confirmed that they expect dropping sales in 2019. Catcher Technology, which builds metal frames and assembles the glass back of the iPhone XR, says the challenging conditions are likely to generate a further decline this year.

"We expect the market conditions at the end of 2018 will continue into 2019," Catcher told its investors in a statement.

Apple blamed the growing tension on import fees between China and the United States as one of the reasons iPhone sales are going down. On the other hand, analysts believe the high price of the 2018 generation makes potential customers stick with their devices for a longer period of time, eventually affecting sales of new models and delaying the planned upgrades.

Cavehomme

Level 1
Verified
Apr 16, 2014
Not surprising, they are way too expensive now. I used Android for many years, then got a cheap small iPhone a couple of years ago. There are aspects to iOS which are frustrating compared to Android, but it's a more secure device and that's ultimately my main reason for getting it rather than staying with leaky Android apps and Google slurp. I don't criticise anyone else, just sharing my personal preference.
If Apple do not go back to producing cheaper phones they are going to be in big trouble though.

Reactions: upnorth
D

Deleted member 178

If i want I real secure smartphone, I wont go with Android or IOS, there is alternatives way more secure and private.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I was happy paying for the iphone SE model as it was more reasonably priced.

I'm not prepared to pay the asking price for the latest models of iphones. I don't need the very top specifications. Just a well made phone that works well and has access to the latest apps etc. I just like the iOS operating system as it is more secure than Android (at least I think so?). I'd pay the price of the cheapest ipad for a phone with iOS but no more. I am lost as a customer to Apple at the moment, if they want my money they will have to sell a product that fits my criteria ! Otherwise I will reluctantly purchase an Android.

What are your other OS recommendations Umbra ? In the reasonably priced range ?

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I find it funny that they are blaming tarrifs. While I am sure they are having a impact on the overall price, let's cut the BS, all Apple products are always over priced for what you get and that was before the tarrifs were in place. Apple started the smart phone era that we see today, but they got lazy and their competitors caught up and surpassed them. Tell me what does the iPhone have/can do that is well worth the price for let's say a Samsung s9 or pixel 3?

I also think that consumers as a whole are getting tired of new releases every year, with little to no difference than last year's model.

Reactions: mlnevese

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
As long as I can buy 3 or 4 top of line phones from other brands for the price I would pay for one Iphone in my country I won't even consider going back to Apple.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 72227

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
In defence of Apple their business model is a bit different than other manufacturers. They offer excellent after-sales support at all of their stores (also online and by telephone as well I think). They don't mind spending time helping you to resolve any problems or showing you how things work- even with older models. I guess that is factored into the overall cost you pay.

I'm also a bit suspicious of why Google develop Android and distribute it cheaply. Its obviously there to harvest maximum data. If you don't pay for the product then YOU are the product. I know Apple like collecting data as well, but at least they don't base their whole business model around selling your details to advertisers.. You pay up front in cash for your device.

Current iPhones are still very overpriced though ! Glad I got the SE when it was available.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I think the iphones are very overpriced and have stated this above.

However, in defence of Apple their business model is a bit different than other manufacturers. They offer excellent after-sales support at all of their stores (also online and by telephone as well I think). They don't mind spending time helping you to resolve any problems or showing you how things work- even with older models. I guess that is factored into the overall cost you pay.

I'm also a bit suspicious of why Google develop Android and distribute it cheaply. Its obviously there to harvest maximum data. If you don't pay for the product then YOU are the product. I know Apple like collecting data as well, but at least they don't base their whole business model around selling your details to advertisers.. You pay up front in cash for your device.

That's not true everywhere. In many countries where Apple products are sold there're no Apple Stores and just a few associated stores. In my Country any defect may take over 30 days to be solved as the phone is sent by the store to a relationship center in another state.

Samsung and LG on the other hand have stores everywhere and their phone repairs rarely take more than 3 days. Their top phones cost less than 1/3 of Apple's prices.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 72227

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.