Apple Downplays Microsoft Surface, Says Having Touch on a Desktop Is a Disaster

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
While Microsoft is pushing hard for touchscreens and devices that can be used with a pen, Apple sticks with a more traditional input method, going for laptops and desktops that do not feature the technology that its Redmond rival seems to love so much these days.

Apple's senior vice president of worldwide marketing Phil Schiller revealed in a recent interview that his company actually looked at the possibility of bringing a touchscreen on its devices, but decided to stick with the old approach that makes more sense for its users.

What’s more, he described having touch on a desktop “a disaster,” pointing out that users of such devices expect to work with a mouse and keyboard and not to mix input methods with touch.

“Can you imagine a 27-inch iMac where you have to reach over the air to try to touch and do things? That becomes absurd. You can’t optimize for both. It’s the lowest common denominator thinking,” he said.

Microsoft thinks otherwise
Microsoft’s Surface Studio is fully based on this approach and has a 28-inch screen that also supports touch and which can be used on the desktop with a mouse and keyboard, touch, pen, or Surface Dial. But as far as Apple is concerned, this isn’t the right way to go because customers still love the mouse and keyboard, as it helps them be productive all the time at the desk.

Schiller claims that Apple considered implementing touch in MacBooks and iMacs several times in the last few years, but every time, the company just decided to go with its instinct and stay away from this technology.

“Our instincts were that it didn't, but, what the heck, we could be wrong - so our teams worked on that for a number of times over the years. Our instincts were correct,” he pointed out.

Microsoft, on the other hand, isn’t necessarily looking to launch products that rely on the traditional input methods, but to invent new categories, and this is exactly what the Surface Pro, the Surface Book, and the Surface Studio achieved. Microsoft has until now managed to achieve its goal, and with Apple going in a completely different direction, it’ll be interesting to see which company achieves better sales.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Personally I am not a fan of touchscreens except on a phone or tablet.
I have a nice LG 29" ultrawide monitor and prefer not have my fingerprints all over it or sitting on top of it within an arms length.
Same goes for a Laptop.I have nice machines and have no use for a touchscreen.
Then there comes problems when fixing them and installing a new screen,driver problems,etc.
Not an Apple fan but I have to agree with their point on this one.Although if Apple did make a desktop with a touchscreen you might have to sell your first born to afford it.Who knows maybe Apple has a conscious :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
How about the Touch panel on the new Macbook. It's just a gimmick.

Surface Studio with a keyboard and mouse only? No thanks. It needs a touch panel display.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Well, they're both right to some degree. Yes, I can't see somebody sit in front of a monitor and touch it for hours on end. Pretty stupid, too, if all you gotta do is nudge your mouse a bit to accomplish the same task.

The Surface Studio on the other hand can be pushed down, so it's almost flat which might make sense in certain creative settings. But then it'll stutter, glitch, throw bluescreens and all that jazz if it stays true to the tune of the Surface line, so I'll pass on that lovely touchscreen. :p

What strikes me funny is that while Apple thinks holding your hand close to the screen is a disaster, they're perfectly fine with that same hand being held just two inches deeper, hovering over some touch bar all the way behind the keyboard. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Honestly the use of touchscreen must be done in proper purpose; actually in the desktop, it goes complicated since you still need mouse and keyboard to apply all majority of task.

So for me touch screen is capable on smartphones and tablets instead.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.