Apple iPhone X Unveiled: Goodbye Home Button. Hello Face ID (Apple's new facial recognition)

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Today at Apple's annual press conference, Apple unveiled the iPhone X, iPhone 8, Apple Watch Series 3, and Apple TV 4k.
In order to make room for this extra screen real estate, though, Apple had to do away with the iPhone's home button. Now instead of using the home button to unlock the phone, with the iPhone X's 12MP cameras you can use Apple's new facial recognition technology called Face ID to unlock it. Face ID uses the the phone's front facing camera and Apple's A11 Bionic Neural Engine to build a model of your face that can be used to unlock your phone, authenticate you for Apple Pay, and increase security.

With Face ID, supposedly the security is now much greater as according to Apple, the chance of stranger unlocking your phone using Touch ID was 1 in 50,000, compared to Face ID's 1 in 1,000,000. When the iPhone 10 is released, I am sure we will find innovative hackers & researchers trying to crack Face ID.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I think it did not fail. The video shows that its needs the pin to enable faceid. Using an iphone for the first time after power up needs an unlock pin to enable touch id/ faceid just like in Samsung too.

If you were presenting a new car and discovered during presentation you forgot to bring the key it would be a fail. This is the same. If you're going to present a new phone make sure it's fully charged, unlocked and ready to be used.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I'd say that iOS is definitely better than Android- more secure, elegant to use and (arguably) protects your privacy because its not Google.

But Apple stuff is very overpriced- the only products I would consider are the iphone SE and maybe the iPad 2017 which are both "budget" by Apple standards.

The cost of the iphone X is ludicrous in my opinion. You can do 90% of what the iphone X can do with a mid-range Android phone costing a fifth of the price.

Apple rely on marketing hype and they are very good at manipulating the media. They convince people that their products are "must have" items but most people probably don't need or use half the features in their Apple products !!

Durden

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2013
the thing that hurts is apple's "innovation"!o_O
I admit that when they do implement things they make sure the job is well done.
but pretty much most of apple's "innovations" appeared in android first ! well except for that "i" they put before it.
I'm not trying to bash apple , but 1000$ on a phone that merely has one extra feature compared to the iPhone 8 version , this ridiculous ! heck a gaming laptop these days can be bought for 1000 $ .. same goes for that note 8 -_- compared to it's little brother the s8 .
on an unrelated topic ;
and this reminds me, the Apple's face recognition that's utilizing the bionic A11 chip's "neural engine" that is capable of learning changes that might occur to one's face, I mean as much as this is awesome, this AI intelligence is terrifying to be honest ! just a month ago I saw a video about a Dota 2 AI bot, developed by Elon Musk's startup "openAI", was self-taught how to play Dota 2 beating world champions with ease !

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
I remember a professional IT magazine in the Netherlands (automatiseringsgids) which published a special on Steve Jobs and his plans for the NeXTstep operating system and PC (called NeXTcube). At that time, I really thought he had gone bazerk with a below 10,000 dollar PC. What on earth would normal human beings benefit with those 3D graphics (remember every game was simple Arcade style two dimensional monochrome). I did not know that he bought shares in Pixar and the NeXT software could be transformed to be used in animation graphics. But I am not a visionair, nor millionair, so forgive not seeing the bigger picture at that time.

Being an old timer in IT, the blog in AV-comparatives reflects my thoughts on Apple innovation and Steve Jobs (remember I don't use an iPhone, but a windows phone, because Bill donated most of his money in a trust for charity). Spotlight on security: iPhone X introduction - job well done? - AV-Comparatives Weblog

Last edited:

Jake Miguel

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2016
I was just reading about it. the chip manufacturing is a problem for Apple X and Apple is running quite late for the demanded models for production. Let's hope everything turns out good for Apple this year coz Apple iPhone 8 is being called a failure these days!

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
If you got beaten until like below you think your facial ID will work?

6lzY2LL.png

D

Deleted member 178

I wonder why people buy Iphones... it is highly expensive, you have far less good hardware than a Android phone of the same price...not saying some crucual components are from samsung LOL

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.