Apple is addressing the 2018 Macbook Pro Throttling problem

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Following extensive performance testing under numerous workloads, we've identified that there is a missing digital key in the firmware that impacts the thermal management system and could drive clock speeds down under heavy thermal loads on the new MacBook Pro. A bug fix is included in today's macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Supplemental Update and is recommended. We apologize to any customer who has experienced less than optimal performance on their new systems. Customers can expect the new 15-inch MacBook Pro to be up to 70% faster, and the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar to be up to 2X faster, as shown in the performance results on our website.
In fact, the previous-generation 15-inch MacBook Pro with a Core i7 processor rendered the video in around 10 percent less time, a fact that wasn't well received by customers, some of which threatened to cancel their orders.

Apple says the bug affected performance on not only the high-end 15-inch MacBook Pro configured with a six-core Intel Core i9 processor, which has faced the most extreme throttling in tests, but also quad-core Core i7 and Core i5 configurations, extending to the latest 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models.

Some amount of throttling is to be expected on notebooks under heavy thermal workloads, especially ones as thin as the MacBook Pro. Lee, however, argued it is the degree of throttling he experienced that is unacceptable.

Apple says it contacted Lee within 48 hours after he published his video, working with him to replicate his workflow. Apple eventually set up a system with a similar workflow, applied the fix, and both the 15-inch and 13-inch models then matched Apple's advertised performance rates.

Don't blame Intel for this, blame Apple for underestimate the I9 heat output with a poor cooling. I wouldn't be happy if I spend more than 3 grands on a notebook that can't maintain its base clock speed without overheating.

MacBooks probably won't be around in 5 or 10 years. There are persistent rumors that Apple is looking to drop them from their product line. When a rumor persists year-after-year it almost invariably ends up being reality.

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
MacBooks probably won't be around in 5 or 10 years. There are persistent rumors that Apple is looking to drop them from their product line. When a rumor persists year-after-year it almost invariably ends up being reality.
But why would Apple drop such a profit making business line?

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
But given the quality of Apple hardware especially its speakers and other things like less or no hardware problems for quite some will lead to consumers paying more and the profits from the line will increase.

But given the quality of Apple hardware especially its speakers and other things like less or no hardware problems for quite some will lead to consumers paying more and the profits from the line will increase.

Relative profits from MacBook sales have been declining for years. iPhone, iPad, iTunes, etc are far more profitable for Apple.

MacBook hardware has been troublesome. Lots of problems for a very high-cost product line.

Reactions: Jack and Dhruv2193

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Fixed my ass. Just throttles to a not ridiculous level. Good luck in a year when the machines die from all that heat. An up to $5000 or whatever machine that throttles. OMEGALUL.

Reactions: Jack and frogboy

Fixed my ass. Just throttles to a not ridiculous level. Good luck in a year when the machines die from all that heat. An up to $5000 or whatever machine that throttles. OMEGALUL.

Spending a lot of money on a laptop is a waste of money - unless you need the top of the line for your job. And almost no one needs a $1000+ laptop to do their job.

Reactions: illumination

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Spending a lot of money on a laptop is a waste of money - unless you need the top of the line for your job. And almost no one needs a $1000+ laptop to do their job.
It's an i9 so i assume people get it for work as there is no other reason you need an i9.

It's an i9 so i assume people get it for work as there is no other reason you need an i9.

Those that think they need the latest and greatest. Those types feed the top-end of the over-priced market.

I

illumination

I dropped twice that amount on a top end laptop just to have it die 1 month past warranty, i will never do that again. They are not designed to last for a long period of time, one is better dumping that kind of money into a home built desktop system that will last years.

Reactions: harlan4096

I dropped twice that amount on a top end laptop just to have it die 1 month past warranty, i will never do that again. They are not designed to last for a long period of time, one is better dumping that kind of money into a home built desktop system that will last years.

I agree. For the same amount of money you get, technically, a more capable, more flexible, system.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.