Apple is tracking down looted devices in the U.S.

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
According to images surfacing on social media, Apple is tracking and disabling the iPhone devices that were looted from its stores in the United States during recent riots. Messages that have appeared on the looted devices inform thieves that the phone has been tracked, disabled and that the local authorities have been informed.

Aside from explaining that devices are being tracked and that local authorities are going to be alerted, Apple asks the holder to please return the device to the store it was taken from. It’s unclear exactly how many people will follow through with that request though because the message doesn’t appear to suggest Apple will show any clemency when it comes to getting law enforcement involved.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Apple should offer a 10$ gift card on their next purchase for returned stolen items.

If an iOS-device is jailbroken, can Apple still brick the devices? How much control do they have over their own property?

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 85179

PotentialUser

Level 1
May 28, 2020
I was raised to understand never to touch others’ property. It doesn’t matter what the situation is, it’s never OK to take someone else’s rightful property. Of course, if they gained their property illegitimately from you, that’s another story. But that’s not what happened here. Just my humble personal views though.

Apple should offer a 10$ gift card on their next purchase for returned stolen items.

If an iOS-device is jailbroken, can Apple still brick the devices? How much control do they have over their own property?

Well, a gift card would essentially be rewarding someone for pillaging. IMHO, Apple should “reward” them by granting them amnesty and not forwarding their information to LE. Otherwise, looters should be tracked down and sentenced.

I believe that’s more than fair considering in “normal” circumstances, people can’t steal and then return items and apologize to be let go scott-free. They’re usually still punished (maybe reduced punishment).

As far as jailbreaking and tracking goes, this may be interesting. It’s a bit dated but the general concensus is Apple can track via Find My and iCloud. Supposedly also through the phone connecting to the internet. But in this case, it seems like Apple knows exactly which product batches (all serial #s) were stolen and went ahead and disabled the phones before they can even be jailbroken — very quick work in all of this chaos. Fastest working fruit I’ve ever seen.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.