Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Learn more: Apple Event

Streaming November 10th, 2020.
  • It’s expected to reveal the first Arm-based Mac and the launch of macOS Big Sur.
  • You might also see new over-ear headphones and other surprises.
Update: November 3, 2020 (12:25 AM ET): Apple will launch three new MacBooks powered by Apple-designed Arm chipsets, according to a Bloomberg report. The publication’s sources suggest two MacBook Pros with 13- and 16-inch displays, and one 13-inch MacBook Air are ready to debut. There’s no mention of AirTags or AirPods Studio headphones, but we wouldn’t rule those out from making an appearance either.
Source: Apple will hold a November 10 event to reveal the future of Macs (Update)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
There's going to be so many angry consumers when they find out that they can only run native ARM programs on their new $2,000+ ARM MacBook Pro.
You need an Intel CPU to run Windows via Bootcamp, that won't be available on the new Arm-based Macs, but that story has already been covered.

If anyone will do it right, it's Apple. They wouldn't venture into Arm if they were not prepared to shift their entire user base.

I believe Intel based Macs will be around for some time. I don't know why you think it's appropriate to judge a product before it's arrived.

Microsoft has SQ1 and SQ2 in their Surface Pro X, and rumors of Google developing their own as well.

Reactions: Protomartyr

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
There's going to be so many angry consumers when they find out that they can only run native ARM programs on their new $2,000+ ARM MacBook Pro.
It's not 2017 anymore. Plenty of programs run on ARM especially Microsoft programs. Fortunately Apple has already sorted out old legacy x86 32bit or lower applications and processes and in the process forced devs to make their apps platform agnostic. Out of all the operating systems, macOS will have the easiest time to transition.

At this point, programs that still don't support ARM shoot themselves in the foot. I can't wait to switch to Apple Silicon. Intel and AMD are not remotely as secure architectures.

mazskolnieces

Level 3
Well-known
Jul 25, 2020
If Macbooks are already of little utility for gaming just imagine going full ARM, a $3000 laptop to play Candy Crush, Free Fire and COD Mobile at 4K@30fps
The main publishers will have something ARM compatible, but many smaller publishers will not. Mark my words about consumers being pissed off about Apple's rushed ARM devices (even though Apple engineers and primary publishers have been working on ARM for years). It's not as if Apple has not poorly executed many things many times before. Make no mistake about it, this is an accelerated rush to market. The new ARM devices will surely have problems to the extent that it will probably pay to wait a year or two to buy one. And some publishers just aren't going to invest in ARM because MacBook users are already not a big enough market share to make it financially worthwhile.

It's going to be something similar to people being angry after buying 4K panels because they had no clue about software scaling and compatibility with 4K.

Last edited:

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
ARM is perfect for something ultra portable like the MacBook Air and I expect this announcement to focus on that form factor.

Apple One includes Apple Arcade on both platforms with incredibly beautiful games that run on Metal by default which is Apple's superior equivalent to Vulkan.

But most people like me will care about the increased battery life, and the few people here know Secure Enclave and the A14 Bionic will easily be the most secure SoC, CPU, GPU and TPM combo out there by far.

I agree that they are rushing bleeding edge technology, but I think Apple is pushing this year because Intel is a complete dumpster fire and they can't afford to commit to Intel's crappy CPUs with security holes and cooling issues and terrible WiFi and and and. They already fixed those issues in hardware through the Bionic chips so why spend another minute wasting money on Intel?? We here at MT know so well how dangerous and questionable Intel CPUs are and Apple is 100% done with them.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Nice peek to see inside their labs. (y)

Inb4 the PC fans come along and cry about this:
1605124188678.png

Reactions: SpiderWeb

mazskolnieces

Level 3
Well-known
Jul 25, 2020

View attachment 248872
I don't think it is Intel versus AMD versus Apple M1. I think it is marketing that makes people think they're getting something that actually they're not. I think all the CPU manufacturers are guilty of this to some extent.

AMD promoted its CPUs as Intel killers, but in the vast majority of cases the typical home consumer didn't use much multi-core processing. Most of their usage was single core and therefore Intel was the better suited CPU, despite the higher cost. The single best indicator of a noticeable increase in performance is a large increase in single core - and by that I mean a 50+ % increase. However, all of that becomes moot with the thin form factors, you lose 33+ % of the intrinsically possible CPU power due to thermals - and that's not just an Apple thing. It applies to Intel and AMD chips that get shoved into too-thin laptops.

I would never spend $2,000 on a 13 inch or $3,000 16 inch MacBook Pro until the rest of the world was a guinea pig first and reports their results.

It's not that Apple isn't the one OEM that has its stuff together for the most part. It's just that it pays to wait and see because everything Apple just costs so much.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why are you making a comparison. No one cares about your view about not wanting to spend $ on a MBP.

Reactions: SpiderWeb

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020

View attachment 248872
Yup. Apple would not lie about such a big claim unless they have proof. I can't wait for the benchmarks.
Looks like the M1 is the A14 with a bigger L2 cache, more RAM and instead of two High Performance cores it has 4.
I absolutely believe that their integrated GPU is better than anything Intel and AMD laptops have right now.

But a lot of things are missing here:
-Expandable RAM support?
-Dedicated GPU support?
-No 120 Hz display
-No 1080p webcam

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.