Apple patent could shut down your phone’s cameras at concerts

Noxx

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jul 13, 2016
"Movie theaters could one day have an easier way to crack down on illegal filming during a new movie.

Apple was recently granted a patent that would remotely disable the cameras on any phone. The technology would emit infrared rays with encoded data that includes commands to temporarily shut down the cameras, preventing both photo and video functionality. The language of the patent filing suggests that the patent could be used to shut down piracy at concerts, movie theaters or other sensitive locations, as reported by Patently Apple.

The infrared emitter’s ability to carry commands that can reach nearby devices has other potential uses. The patent filing mentions another possible use of the technology in a museum setting. An infrared emitter could sit near a museum exhibit and emit waves that reach an observer’s phone, populating their device with more information about the item or painting.

The potential uses for this kind of technology that remotely can emit commands to a personal phone immediately triggers concerns for some privacy experts, who fear that it could be used for other purposes.

“The underlying motivation behind this kind of development is definitely alarming,” said Parker Higgins, a spokesperson for digital advocacy group Electronic Frontier Foundation. He said that governments at the local, state, and national levels have all advocated to be able to remotely control phones before.

“We’ve seen it before when police in Ferguson called a no-fly zone to keep media from capturing aerial shots, or when authorities in the Bay Area or Egypt shut down cell service during protests. There’s no good reason to trust the government to control criticism of its own behavior.” he said.

Apple has not yet responded to request for comment.

Apple applied for rights to the infrared system in 2011 and was finally granted the patent five years later. In that time period, Apple started using a similar data transmission technology called iBeacons, which powers Bluetooth functionality, allowing users to control a sound system via their phone. Compared to Bluetooth, infrared might today seem like a more outdated approach, noted 9to5Mac.

It’s possible that Apple might not even have any intention to use the patent. Like thousands of other patents Apple applies for each year, this one could just wind up unused."

I wish I could say "nahhhh, that couldn't happen".

H

hjlbx

LOL... restricted use based upon geolocation\geofencing... ROFLAO. :D

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
"Movie theaters could one day have an easier way to crack down on illegal filming during a new movie.

...i think making more money is one of the most important things on this sick/weird planet of money/turnover..... :D
..we already have restrictions for music videos on youtube.... so i think it possible that this technology will be soon in every single smart phone and camera..... yeahhh tha money rules on this planet :D

Last edited:

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
...i think making more money is one of the most important things on this sick/weird planet of money/turnover..... :D
..we already have restrictions for music videos on youtube.... so i think it possible that this technology will be soon in every single smart phone and camera..... yeahhh tha money rules on this planet :D

If they care about money how is that bad? Almost every single person on Earth has a love for money. Movie Theaters deserve it. Priacy is not okay...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If they care about money how is that bad? Almost every single person on Earth has a love for money. Movie Theaters deserve it. Priacy is not okay...
Movie theatres are over-priced, why do you think so many bring their own snacks. The ticket alone can be a stretch, especially when buying for more than 2 people (~£9pp, excluding popcorn, snacks and drinks).

The only use for blocking iPhone's camera from operating would be at to-be crime scene. Imagine if this technology was be abused... (in extreme cases)

Maybe Apple will see an uprising in jailbroken iPhone's or minimal sales loss, so let's hope it only affects the built in Camera app, and the APIs, if any, remain optional to developers.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
who said an apple could do no harm? errr rotten apple....

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Movie theatres are over-priced, why do you think so many bring their own snacks. The ticket alone can be a stretch, especially when buying for more than 2 people (~£9pp, excluding popcorn, snacks and drinks).

The only use for blocking iPhone's camera from operating would be at to-be crime scene. Imagine if this technology was be abused... (in extreme cases)

Maybe Apple will see an uprising in jailbroken iPhone's or minimal sales loss, so let's hope it only affects the built in Camera app, and the APIs, if any, remain optional to developers.

I understand what you are getting at but it does take a lot of money and effort to make a movie. Plus with all the actors staff of both the movie itself and the theater doesn't leave as much as you think for the company. I mean being overpriced is one thing but this is about preventing piracy. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.