Apple Pushes Against British Talk Softening Encryption

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Quote : " With governments threatening crackdowns on encrypted communications after the jihadist-inspired attacks in San Bernardino, Calif., and Paris, Apple on Monday pushed back hard, arguing that lawmakers who talk about gaining court-ordered access to iPhone communications do not understand the technology.

“The best minds in the world cannot rewrite the laws of mathematics,” the company told the British Parliament, submitting formal comments on a proposed law that would require the company to supply a way to break into the iMessage and FaceTime conversations of iPhone users.

...The technology companies argue that although the political winds may be changing, the technological challenge has not: To create an opening for government investigators is to also create a vulnerability that Chinese, Iranian, Russian or North Korean hackers could exploit.

Mrs. Clinton rejected that argument recently, arguing that if the companies wanted to put their best minds to the problem, they would solve it.

But in the British filing, and in an interview on “60 Minutes” on Sunday, Apple’s chief executive, Tim Cook, argued that politicians calling for such access do not understand the damage they would cause.
"

Some of the extrem mess things like this will create is very easy to understand by simply read the information here : Backdoor in NetScreen Firewalls

Kiwimike

Level 1
Verified
Dec 15, 2015
I hate people who put down encryption, if you don't want it then simply don't use it.

But the majority of people who use it are good, the only reason the government hates that is because they can't see what people are doing, the government's lust for power has made them into something that I think the founding people of countries would not agree with. It is a simple fact, as soon as a company looses its original founder/CEO, finding another one to replace them is very difficult and sometimes fails, when it fails the company will not have the same person who worked their butt off to bring the company to life.

Apple has become one of my favourite companies since they support end to end encryption so much, while sure I don't use a Mac, I prefer Linux instead but thats not what its about. Part of me thinks they simply have this war against the war on encryption (lol) so they can make their customers happy. But I also get the sense that Apple knows for a fact what many people know, what lack of encryption will do.
The fact is that our society has used encryption digitally and cryptography for a long, long time. It has won us wars, lost us wars, destroyed governments and etc. It plays a very important role as we are today, we are all used to encryption. This means without it, we are not going to be as strong as we were.
Without encryption other countries have easy access to government material. Apple knows for a fact that their customers buy their products, relying on Apple for security and for protection. After the iCloud hack I beileve Apple started taking it seriously, they want their customers to know that they're not backing down.

So many services will crumble with lack of encryption, the whole digital world in fact will crumble. Simply because there is so much connectivity, and without encryption the information is freely sitting there, if a hacker or a criminal gets it they have got access to that information. Simple as that, and thats not a good thought.
We all need to fight people who fight encryption because that is the only way people are going to be able to still use it.

Reactions: upnorth

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.