Apple rebuilding it's Maps for iOS 12; ditching 3rd-party data

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I’m not sure if you’re aware, but the launch of Apple Maps went poorly. After a rough first impression, an apology from the CEO, several years of patching holes with data partnerships and some glimmers of light with long-awaited transit directions and improvements in business, parking and place data, Apple Maps is still not where it needs to be to be considered a world-class service.
"Apple, it turns out, is aware of this, so it’s re-building the maps part of Maps."
It’s doing this by using first-party data gathered by iPhones with a privacy-first methodology and its own fleet of cars packed with sensors and cameras. The new product will launch in San Francisco and the Bay Area with the next iOS 12 beta and will cover Northern California by fall.

Every version of iOS will get the updated maps eventually, and they will be more responsive to changes in roadways and construction, more visually rich depending on the specific context they’re viewed in and feature more detailed ground cover, foliage, pools, pedestrian pathways and more.

This is nothing less than a full re-set of Maps and it’s been four years in the making, which is when Apple began to develop its new data-gathering systems.
"Eventually, Apple will no longer rely on third-party data to provide the basis for its maps, which has been one of its major pitfalls from the beginning."

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
I am an iPhone fan, Google map is better then Apple map..

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
if I can ill uninstall Apple Maps it is worthless, Google Maps is the best! May be Apple Maps are good in USA!

Reactions: CyberTech

deltamind

Level 1
Verified
May 19, 2018
Whenever I get an apple device then the first thing I do is uninstall apple maps, apple has to do something so they can win over google maps and waze which I think is super hard or even not possible.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.