Apple redesigning the iPhone this year with flat sides and smaller notch, says report

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Bloomberg has published a new report detailing much of Apple’s product roadmap for 2020, including the four new iPhones that have been widely rumored. Corroborating Ming-chi Kuo’s analysis from last year, Apple is said to be redesigning the iPhone Pro chassis with flat edges reminiscent of the current iPad Pro. Kuo claimed the screen glass would still be slightly curved, while Bloomberg says it’ll be flat.

Bloomberg reports that there will be two iPhone Pro models with three cameras on the back and that they will feature the new iPad Pro’s LIDAR 3D-scanning system — it’s not clear whether that will take the place of one of the iPhone 11 Pro’s existing three cameras, though. It’s also unclear whether the boxy redesign will come to the two lower-end dual-camera models that are reportedly replacing the iPhone 11.

The Face ID notch will ‘likely’ be reduced in size

The report says that the largest iPhone Pro will have a “slightly larger” screen than the iPhone 11 Pro Max’s 6.5-inch panel, and that the Face ID notch will “likely” be reduced in size. Kuo predicted last year that the Pro models would come in screen sizes of 5.4 inches and 6.7 inches.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I don't understand how Apple can't shrink the front facing sensor array and have it between display and bezel without the massive notch. I have the XR and it doesn't personally bother me but come on, it's been 2 years since and everyone has dumped it. I know Apple would never adopt motorized popup cameras and stuff, but they'd really have to do something about it. Then again, I said to myself I'm only going to upgrade XR when Apple manages to make a phone without a notch with same sensors as on XR. So, not this year then.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I don't want to talk about the cooking stove camera layout of the new iPhone 11 variant.
I a̶m̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶i̶g̶ ̶f̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ absolutely hate the notch Apple brought and retained religiously in their iPhones. And other players blindly jumped into the same boat without a thought of design and aesthetic consequences.
While I appreciate their strong front ID sensor, they gotta do something and get rid of the ugly intrusive thing on top. Not all users are gonna get habituated to it. This one thing (and a missing curved screen perhaps) is a deterrent for me switching to iOS. I love the rest of alphabets of the iPhone package. Their OS and apps are just beautiful.
@RejZoR you entirely read my mind and put forward the thoughts very well 😁
Here are some phone designs that Apple thinks ain't cool, because they don't boast that thing ...
zsnAsjFoSy2NdVno2JpTJP-1200-80.jpgSmartSelect_20200413-211214_Gallery.jpg

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Then again, you now distinctively know who holds an iPhone. The "cooking top" array on the back and a notch in the front. You unmistakably know it's an Apple device even if you don't see the logo.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Apple won't prefer a motorized front camera for sure, however a small but continuous bezel like in Samsung Galaxy S8/S9 would look better IMO until the next big invention reaches the market. They've already enlarged the device size a lot over the years, so reducing bezel area need not have an ugly outcome like now.
Also, under-screen camera sensors are on the cards with brands like Xiaomi and Samsung working on optimizing them.
I use a range of iOS devices for apps I build at work. And the earlier ones like iPhone 8 feel so fit and easy on hands (and in pocket when you're riding). Just the Touch ID feels big.

yuanyasmine

Level 1
Jan 4, 2020
I actually consider the X-series only a half-step design change from the 6-series. The design language is arguably the same. The phones follow the same rounded metal edges, with sloped glass, and pill shaped buttons. With phone screens off, they’d be hard to differentiate. Hoping for something a little edgier in 2020, no pun intended.

Reactions: Parsh

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.