Apple Surpassed Samsung as World's Largest Smartphone Maker in Fourth Quarter

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Apple overtook Samsung to become the largest smartphone vendor worldwide in the fourth quarter of 2020, a feat not achieved by Apple since 2016, according to market data by Gartner.

In the final quarter of 2020, Apple sold 80 million new iPhones, largely driven by the launch of the first 5G-enabled iPhone series. Anshul Gupta, Senior Research Director at Gartner, says that 5G and improved camera features helped convince customers to upgrade to iPhone 12 models in the final quarter of the year.

Even as consumers remained cautious in their spending and held off on some discretionary purchases, 5G smartphones and pro-camera features encouraged some end users to purchase new smartphones or upgrade their current smartphones in the quarter.

Compared to 2019, Apple sold more than 10 million extra iPhones in the fourth quarter and saw its global smartphone market share increase by almost 15%. Samsung, the closest rival to Apple, saw its market share decrease by 11.8% and sold around eight million fewer devices compared to just one year ago, according to the market data.

auchp3D.jpeg

Full article

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
They don't care about the labour, if they don't have to see it. Lots of them are also individuals that switch due to the unstable environment that is Android in regard to security updates. In European countries, and some of them even stricter than others, there is a regulation that states that manufacturers need to guarantee 2 years of updates. Most of those phones that get a proper cycle within and outside of that guarantee are flagship models only. Most of the non-flagship models get a update once or twice within the first 9 months and call it quit, arguing that they "technically" upheld their end on that guarantee.

Others do it, because the iPhone is more "privacy convenient" for the less technical-/technological knowledgeable consumers. Over there they know what they can expect in regard to regulation of the app store, 'spying' (tracking) among others. For most folks on this forum, we know what is what, or we understand the theory to an extend at the minimum. But the majority out there doesn't. And that is where the big money is.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 89360

I’m one of the people who switched from a Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ to an iPhone 11 and it’s because Samsung is removing features, nerfing the cameras more and more with each new generation of phones, and releasing “new” models with lower battery capacities than their predecessors.

They’re also doing ##### like removing microSD slot and nerfing the display resolution so screenshots look more pixelated on newer devices than their predecessors.

Of course, the only thing that hasn’t decreased is the price. They want to sell us budget phone specs for $1,699 and they must think we’re stupid.

They think we’re stupid. Like we wouldn’t notice.

If I’m going to pay $1,699 for a Samsung Galaxy Note 21 Ultra Mega GODMODE 5G phone, it better have a 6,000 mAh battery, a 500+ ppi OLED display, SNAPDRAGON 888, 108 mp cameras, a heartbeat and fingerprint sensor that’s NOT their garbage “uNdEr dIsPlAY” model

Or I’m taking that $1,699 over to apple and buying the iPhone 13 Pro Max Ultimate Super S max edition with all the bells and whistles

Well I’m not going back to Samsung anytime soon. I’m not stupid
Yeah, this one is really funny.

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah, this one is really funny.
I 1150% AGREE WITH YOU, FULLY!

Apple sucks ass too, it removes features and has a lower battery than Samsungs. Apple's displays are laughable #####, too. below 300 ppi typically and my iPhone 11 has an LCD display. I get it.... I'm totally with you there.

You know what else I get? My iPhone 11 cost me $700 and NOT $1,699. So if I'm going to be #####ed in the ass with removed feature, lackluster battery, and ##### for piss device performance. I'm going to get #####ed in the ass with a $700 iPhone and not with a $1,699 Samsung Galaxy #####yourself S21 that's going to be obsolete 1.5 years later. At least I can hold onto my iShit for another 5 years with software support for $700 and not have to buy another device for a few years.

Please excuse the french, I'm super pissed off at Samsung and it's not directed at you. I put my money where my rage is and just left them alone. I paid $900 for my Note 10+ and you know what the trade in value for it was? $400.... I took the $400 and used it to subsidize my iPhone 11's cost, so it effectively cost me $300 to get out of Samsung and into Apple.
this too ;)

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Apple's privacy proposition made me switch after having Android for a decade and I haven't looked back. The app ecosystem is just more mature, far more high quality apps to the point where you don't have to rely on Apple/Google supplied stock apps. The biggest selling point is simply the CPU and iMessage. Apple is years ahead in both categories it's ridiculous.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Apple's privacy proposition made me switch after having Android for a decade and I haven't looked back. The app ecosystem is just more mature, far more high quality apps to the point where you don't have to rely on Apple/Google supplied stock apps. The biggest selling point is simply the CPU and iMessage. Apple is years ahead in both categories it's ridiculous.
They're also do importantly steps for better security and privacy while other (e.g. Samsung) doesn't care or implement stuff broken

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Im surprised to see so many people are buying phones thats spying on you and made by child labour in china.
Actually that is one of the reasons, US manufacturers are doing so well, because of the 5G scandal, especially related to the banned Huawei. Yes, you can easily but it online, but getting your provider to accept it is another matter entirely. It is similar to Kaspersky's case. Cheaper and better = very dangerous for some companies, people do not really care about politics.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Just for informational purposes, Samsung phones come from Vietnam and Apple phones come from the Foxconn factory like host of other stuff. A factory known for constant suicides and unfriendly environment.
That's only partially true.
Foxconn went through some hard times in 2010 - 2011 when the most of the suicides occurred but after that they increased the salaries and started working on improvements. I am not saying that it's OK and I would rather see iPhones being made in US, Samsungs in Korea etc. but the reality is that all manufacturers are looking for more profit.
Now Vietnam and India are being on top of the list simply because they are cheaper than China - that's the main reason why Samsung has closed their factory in China and moved majority of their production to Vietnam in 2019.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.