Apple will let you add 256GB of RAM to an iMac Pro for $5,200

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Apple is adding some new configuration options to its iMac Pro today, including a truly absurd 256GB of RAM. It can be added to your computer (which, as a reminder, costs $4,999 to start) for the low, low price of $5,200, as spotted by 9to5Mac.

You could buy a second iMac Pro for the cost of that single RAM upgrade. To put that in perspective compared to Apple’s other RAM upgrades, the iMac Pro comes with 32GB of RAM by default. Upgrading to 64GB costs an extra $400, and upgrading to 128GB costs an extra $2,000. Both of those prices are dwarfed by the new 256GB option.

Also new for the iMac Pro is an upgraded Radeon Pro Vega 64X GPU with 16GB of memory for a comparatively cheap $700 upgrade. (For comparison, the iMac Pro comes with a Vega 56 GPU by default, and Apple has previously offered a Vega 64 GPU option for $550 more.)

All in all, that puts a fully kitted-out iMac Pro — with a 2.3GHz 18-core Intel Xeon W processor, 256GB of RAM, 4TB of SSD storage, and a Vega 64X GPU — at $15,699.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Apple has always gouged people when it comes to ram upgrades. A lot of Windows OEM's are the same, granted they aren't as bad as apple. I could never understand why they charge so much for these upgrades, as it's pure profit for them. If only more people knew how much you actually have to spend to get more ram (faster ram) and larger SSD's, they would be shocked at the prices these companies charge. Furthermore, you know full well they get a discount on the price of the parts as they are buying them in bulk.

That's why I build my own PC's, but if I had to buy a laptop, I would make sure I have a decent CPU/GPU (depending on needs) and just upgrade the HDD/SSD and ram, as it will be far cheaper than paying any one of these companies to do it for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Google%2BChrome%252C%2Bthe%2BRAM%2BEater.jpg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.