Apple WWDC 2020 - Everything You Need To Know

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Apple today shared details on the schedule for its upcoming WWDC 2020 event, which is set to take place in a digital only capacity for the first time. Though digital, Apple says that this year's event will be the "biggest WWDC to date," as all developers are able to attend for free.

The WWDC Keynote event will take place on Monday, June 22 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time, and it will be streamed directly from Apple Park. Developers and Apple users will be able to watch on Apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple Developer website, the Apple TV app, and YouTube.

A Platforms State of the Union, which is designed to provide developers with a deeper look into the newest updates for iOS, iPadOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS, will take place on June 22 at 2:00 p.m. and it will be available in the Apple Developer app and the Apple Developer website.

From June 23 to June 26, Apple plans to hold more than 100 technical and design-focused engineering sessions, with new videos posted each day at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time in the Apple Developer app and the Apple Developer website.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
giphy.gif

Can't wait for more expensive iPhone that I won't buy!

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017

Apple is planning to stream its upcoming WWDC keynote event on YouTube, and today, the company uploaded a WWDC Special Event video to its YouTube channel in preparation

The video allows YouTube users to set reminders for the keynote, which kicks off at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time on Monday, June 22. The reminders will alert YouTube users about the stream ahead of when it starts so it won't be missed..

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
WWDC events sometimes have no new hardware reveals, as was the case in 2018. Last year, Apple used WWDC to offer a preview of the new Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR. It is possible that Apple has faced supply chain issues this year, and may have decided to postpone hardware announcements until its manufacturing situation improves. It may also be the case that Apple simply did not have any hardware announcements planned for WWDC.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Apple has confirmed it will transition its Mac laptop and desktop computers to its own ARM-based processors.

The move means that Macs will run on the same type of chips as the firm's iPhones and iPads, rather than Intel's. Intel had faced problems manufacturing its own designs, leading it to issue a public apology to computer-makers. Apple's challenge will be to carry off the transition smoothly and convince third-party developers to update their apps accordingly. "We expect to ship our first Mac with Apple silicon by the end of the year," said chief executive Tim Cook, adding that it would likely be two years before its full product line had made the jump.

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
The iOS and iPadOS 14 updates that were introduced this morning will include a hidden feature that Apple didn't have time to mention - emoji search.

Apple today previewed iOS 14, which features an all-new home screen design with widgets and a new App Library view, plus much more.

Apple today announced that iOS 14 will include an all-new Translate app with support for 11 languages, plus an offline mode. A side-by-side view will make it easy for two people speaking different languages to have a conversation.

App Clips load within seconds and let users complete specific tasks, like pay for parking using Sign In With Apple and Apple Pay. App Clips can be discovered and accessed by scanning Apple's new "App Clip codes," or by using NFC and QR codes. They can also be shared in Messages and Safari.

Apple today announced that iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 will allow users to set third-party browser and email apps as default, such as Chrome or Outlook, rather than having to rely on Apple's own Safari and Mail apps.

Apple today announced a much-desired change being made in iOS 14: incoming phone calls will no longer take up the entire screen

Apple Previews Big Update to Safari on Mac, Featuring New Privacy Tools, Built-in Translation, Improved Tabs, and More

Apple has announced that the latest version of macOS is called "Big Sur," and Apple is referring to this update as the biggest update since macOS X.

During its annual World Wide Developer's Conference, Apple continued to hammer home its priority on privacy with several new features across all of its platforms.

Privacy has continued to be a theme for Apple, and we saw that during WWDC 2020 where a whole segment was dedicated to talking it up.

Sign in with Apple was announced during the 2019 developer's conference and developers have seen great success when implementing it. Sign in with Apple keeps your information private, reducing the need for additional passwords, and sending your personal information to the developer.

Apple has announced that its new Macs that are powered by the company’s newly-announced Apple-built chips will be able to natively run iPhone and iPad apps, thanks to the shared architecture. Apps demoed during the keynote include Monument Valley 2, Calm, and the Fender Play app.

Last edited:

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Today, at the 2020 edition of its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC), Apple announced new privacy and security features for iOS and macOS users.
Just like last year, this year's theme has been on improving user privacy, with a special focus on the predatory online advertising industry.

This year, Apple announced three main features that will make it much harder for online advertisers to track users.

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
My thoughts in no particular order:
  • Widgets is giving me a live tiles vibe from Windows Phone. Always thought that was a very useful concept but never got to try it out myself. I hope the Apple implementation improves upon the live tile concept.
  • Incoming calls do not take over the whole screen. Finally!
  • I wonder how the Apple Translate app will compare to Google's version.
  • App Clips reminds me of Google's Instant Apps feature.
  • I'm really happy about being able to set third-party browsers and mail apps as default. Being able to set default navigation apps was a big oversight though.
Most of my interest is in iOS as I often have to set up or do things for my mom/sister who have iPhones. I own a Pixel 3a XL myself and have always used Android. I did use an iPod Touch for some time. These changes that Apple is making are slowly convincing me to try out an iPhone eventually. It will be a while though since I just got my Pixel and am loving it.

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Tbh i'm so very happy this bought tear to my eyes!

Apple has added a useful accessibility feature to iOS 14 called Sound Recognition that can notify users about important sounds like fire alarms and doorbells, as noted by Federico Viticci. This is especially helpful for people that are hard of hearing.

When the feature is enabled, Apple says your iPhone will continuously listen for certain sounds, and using on-device intelligence, will notify you when those sounds may be recognized. This includes sounds from fire alarms, sirens, smoke detectors, cats, dogs, household appliances, car horns, doorbells, knocking, water running, a baby crying, and shouting.

iOS 14, released for developers today, includes an interesting new Accessibility option that's designed to allow users to double tap or triple tap on the back of the iPhone to perform various actions.

The feature can be used to do things like access Control Center, Notification Center, the Lock screen, the Home screen, or the App Switcher, or it can change the volume, bring up Siri, mute the ‌iPhone‌, take a screenshot, or access a Shortcut.

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Safari 14, the version of Apple’s browser that will ship with iOS 14 and macOS Big Sur, will let you use Face ID or Touch ID to log in to websites built to support the feature.

The functionality was confirmed the browser’s beta release notes, and Apple has detailed how the feature works in a WWDC video for developers. The functionality is built on the WebAuthn component of the FIDO2 standard, developed by the FIDO Alliance. It should make logging into a website as easy as logging into an app secured with Touch ID or Face ID.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.