Advice Request Applications File accessing method

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

viktik

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
As you can see below that "Disk read bytes" and "Disk write bytes" for most applications is almost zero.
While "I/O read bytes" and "I/O writes bytes" is present for all the applications

APPLICATIONS FILE ACCESSING METHOD_13-08-2016_09-24-05.jpg APPLICATIONS FILE ACCESSING METHOD_13-08-2016_09-24-14.jpg APPLICATIONS FILE ACCESSING METHOD_13-08-2016_09-24-29.jpg APPLICATIONS FILE ACCESSING METHOD_13-08-2016_09-24-37.jpg

From what I understand is that applications are not directly accessing the file in hard disk. Instead ntoskrnl.exe is accessing files in hard disk for these applications

APPLICATIONS FILE ACCESSING METHOD_13-08-2016_09-24-49.jpg

The question is why is this happening.

The problem is some antivirus may not know which application is accessing which files in the hard disk. So the antivirus may not be able to protect the files.

Last edited:
Reactions: _CyberGhosT_
H

hjlbx

Disk Read\Write Bytes: The total number of bytes sent to the disk (write) and retrieved from the disk (read) over a period of one second.

I/O Read\Write Bytes is more than just Disk Read\Write Bytes:
  • It includes File, Network and Device I/O
  • It does not include Console I/O
I didn't know the answer at first until I scoured the net for an explanation.

So you can have 0 Disk Read\Writes, but a high I\O Read\Writes - and vice versa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

viktik

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Disk Read\Write Bytes: it is not disk read writes in one second. it is actually cumulative. The data keeps adding up as data is read or written in disk.

Disk Read\Write Bytes Delta : this one is disk read/write in one second

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

Disk Read\Write Bytes: it is not disk read writes in one second. it is actually cumulative. The data keeps adding up as data is read or written in disk.

Disk Read\Write Bytes Delta : this one is disk read/write in one second

Thanks for clarification @viktik

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.