Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
April 11: One Windows Version Dies, Another One Sees Daylight

April 11 turns out to be quite a special day for both Microsoft and its users this year, as it could witness two essential moments for the Windows ecosystem: the death of Windows Vista and the debut of the Windows 10 Creators Update.

Out of these two milestones, only one is confirmed so far, and it’s the end of support for Windows Vista. Specifically, Windows Vista, which no longer receives mainstream support since April 2012, is projected to reach end of extended support on April 11, which means that no other updates, not even security patches, would be released after that.

This shouldn’t be a problem though given the fact that less than 1 percent of the desktops are still running Windows Vista, and this shows how big of failure this operating system actually was.

Windows XP, which was launched in 2001, is still running on some 8 percent of the world’s PCs, while its successor Windows Vista is close to extinction with Microsoft pulling the plug on it.
The launch of Windows 10 Creators Update
The second key moment is the debut of the Windows 10 Creators Update, which is also known as Redstone 2.

The April 11 launch date is not yet confirmed, but there are reports that Microsoft is planning to finalize work on this update as soon as next week and then ship the RTM build to insiders before releasing it to everyone else next month.

While the timing seems to make sense, there’s one little thing that could indicate the April 11 might not be the best choice for launching the Creators Update, especially because this is a Tuesday, and it’s not like any other Tuesday, but the day when Microsoft ships Patch Tuesday security updates for its software.

In most of the cases, Microsoft reserves the second Tuesday of each month for the security rollout exclusively, just in case something goes wrong and additional work needs to be done, so shipping the Creators Update the same seems to make things a little bit more complicated.

In the end, no matter if April 11 is the day or not, April still remains a very special month for everyone in the Microsoft world. One Windows goes dark, while another one sees the light of the day for the first time.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Thanks for the share! I upgraded my old Win Vista computer to 7 a couple of months ago. (Vista was my first OS) Good times using it, might not be for other users but will be in my heart. :p

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Killing Vista on launch day would have been better for MS, and saved users the
unpleasantness it brought to the table.
Think about it, MS has a history of missing on every other OS version
XP- Good
Vista- #####
Win 7- Good
Win 8- #####
Win 10- Good
See why MS stopped at Win 10 ? :p
I could have went back further but you get the point. ;)
Thanks Exterminator !

Reactions: BugCode
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.