Advice Request Are AppGuard and Sandboxie a good combo?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
I use sandboxie mainly for isolating Chrome and Firefox(I use Windows 7 so I don't have appcontainer). AppGuard is kept there because it provides default deny protection. I have the necessary exclusions set for sandboxie in AppGuard. Are there any know conflicts between AG and SBIE? For my AV I have ESET IS.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I use sandboxie mainly for isolating Chrome and Firefox(I use Windows 7 so I don't have appcontainer). AppGuard is kept there because it provides default deny protection. I have the necessary exclusions set for sandboxie in AppGuard. Are there any know conflicts between AG and SBIE? For my AV I have ESET IS.
It's a good combo. AFAIK there are no conflicts, as long as you made the necessary exclusions in AppGuard, which you say you did.
However, you can expect Chrome and Firefox to launch very slowly, because they are getting double protection.
If you have tight configs for them in SBIE, you could just untick them from the AG guarded apps list. SBIE is enough protection for browsers, if configured right.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yes I have unchecked Chrome from guarded applications list. I have sandboxie to clear data upon exiting Chrome and Chrome is always forced to run in Sandboxie.
Sounds good. You can do even more in SBIE for protecting Chrome, for instance, you can block it from reading certain data folders, you can block other processes from starting and/or from accessing internet... ask the SBIE pros.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
AppGuard, Sandboxie, and ESET..... there is a lot going on there.

If they play friendly together, and you don't get big slowdowns, and you can handle the 'cost of security' of messing with Sandboxie and AppGuard... it would be hard for anything to get past that.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I need to find out the SBIE experts then. I hope they'll be there in the Sandboxie sub-section.

Agree with @Burrito but if you insist you need all these to feel comfortable > SBIE pros over @ Wilders. :cool: If you're making the most of Eset you shouldn't even need the rest. But that's me. I'm a member of the "Keep It Simple" club! (y)

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
AppGuard, Sandboxie, and ESET..... there is a lot going on there.

If they play friendly together, and you don't get big slowdowns, and you can handle the 'cost of security' of messing with Sandboxie and AppGuard... it would be hard for anything to get past that.
Till now the PC has not slowed down. I just had to disable ESET Banking Protection and remove Chrome from AppGuard guarded list.

Agree with @Burrito but if you insist you need all these to feel comfortable > SBIE pros over @ Wilders. :cool: If you're making the most of Eset you shouldn't even need the rest. But that's me. I'm a member of the "Keep It Simple" club! (y)
You are right partially. Maybe they are not needed when using ESET. But I keep Sandboxie just to isolate my browsers which ESET cannot do at this moment. I have AppGuard kept as a default deny protection since ESET by design is default allow.

Last edited:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Till now the PC has not slowed down. I just had to disable ESET Banking Protection and remove Chrome from AppGuard guarded list.

You are right partially. Maybe they are not needed when using ESET. But I keep Sandboxie just to isolate my browsers which ESET cannot do at this moment. I have AppGuard kept as a default deny protection since ESET by design is default allow.

The trend right now for us security geeks is to not engage in overkill, to avoid protection redundancy, and to avoid conflicts and slowdowns that can actually negatively affect your security.

But... I'm more like you in that I like to have 'two major muscle groups' on most computers. So (like you) I'm using capabilities that many could consider stand-alone capabilities together. So I'll run VooDoo with some AV, or MBAM Premium with an AV, or AppGuard with an AV... I have several computers that run a traditional AV with Cylance (which like MBAM premium, can be considered an AV replacement). And I often have a few more 'things' running... OSArmor, SysHardener, uBO, MBEB, WDBP.... I've got quite a few computers in my larger household, so there is a lot of mixing of different set-ups.

So I do tend toward what some here might consider overkill. But, I typically don't experience conflicts nor slowdowns. And while there is some spectrum double-covered, in each case, there are some specific areas of specialty that are being addressed.

But... when I used to run things like AppGuard, NoScript, Sandboxie, EXE Radar Pro, Aggressive uBO, some uBO filter lists, DefenseWall (going back in time) and other capabilities that had me spending too much time trying to figure out why so many websites or updates didn't work properly, I did get 'security fatigue' after a while. I don't really tolerate that too much anymore.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
@Burrito I agree with you here. I also use SysHardener since it's a one time tool to harden the OS. I also use Chrome with uBlock Origin(may change that to Adguard) since I have a license lying around. Between AppGuard and Sandboxie which one would you think is preferable to run alongside ESET IS?

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
@Burrito I agree with you here. I also use SysHardener since it's a one time tool to harden the OS. I also use Chrome with uBlock Origin(may change that to Adguard) since I have a license lying around. Between AppGuard and Sandboxie which one would you think is preferable to run alongside ESET IS?

I like both AppGuard and Sandboxie. They are both good products. I have not run the current version of AppGuard, so I can't comment on that.

I think AppGuard is really powerful. But it's not really intended for average-user consumers. But if your skill level is high enough -- you understand the different internal elements of the OS -- so you can address the issues that AppGuard sometimes produces, AppGuard is a really decisive product.

With Sandboxie, there are nicer consumer guides, a nice forum, expertise over at Wilders... there is more support.

Me personally... I like them both but now tend away from both. Even though default-deny is the better security paradigm, it is more work. I want smart and redundant security to do that work for me. And sandboxing is great -- and makes perfect sense. But the sandbox in Chrome and the one being developed in the Windows OS make Sandboxie less valuable. But I'm sure there are many that would disagree with that.

Yeah, both are good just depending on you and your needs.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Yes I do agree that AG is not for the average user. But if one can invest a bit of time and effort into learning the essentials of AG it offers protection that no AV will be able to provide. When AppGuard is installed nothing can execute without your permission. ESET and AG make a terrific combo imo. I guess with AG and ESET I won't be needing Sandboxie.

Last edited:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Yes I do agree that AG is not for the average user. But if one can invest a bit of time and effort into learning the essentials of AG it offers protection that no AV will be able to provide. When AppGuard inls installed nothing can execute without your permission. ESET and AG make a terrific combo imo. I guess with AG and ESET I won't be needing Sandboxie.

The irony is that when one learns that "essential" he wont need any protection at all, thats why the market for HIPS for example is dead.
AppGuard is for enterprise usage, for home users is just a expensive geek tool.

Personally I think that AppGuard and Sandboxie together is a bad combo, not because of the protection, but because of other factors (price and so on).

Who is gonna use that machine? If it is just you, I think ESET alone is more than adequate, contrary to common belief, defaulty deny is for average users because they cant be trusted or for enterprise scenario usage (limited number of software that is allowed to run x user cant be trusted).

Sandboxie was great in the age of drive by download malwares, nowadays it is just another geek tool that has some limited usage.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Advanced security tools can be very useful for setting up a system to be used by other family members, or for setting up a system that you share with family members. As long as there is a geek around to deal with issues, it works. This also provides a certain peace of mind for the advanced user himself, because he doesn't have to be constantly on the guard, he doesn't have to be paranoid. If he absentmindedly downloads something without checking the url and runs the file in the middle of a phone call, he is protected. :)

There are older threads here on MT that talk about SBIE configuration, if anyone has the patience to read them.
If you are pro like Bo Elam you can build your whole security around SBIE.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Personally I think that AppGuard and Sandboxie together is a bad combo, not because of the protection, but because of other factors (price and so on).
I have a lifetime license of AppGuard 4 and so the cost is not the factor here. And as for Sandboxie I'm trying out the free version and before buying it, I thought about taking suggestions from the experts here. That's why I made this thread and after reading all the suggestions, I'll just stick with the free version or maybe uninstall it after 30 days since I'm pretty much covered by AG and ESET.

Who is gonna use that machine? If it is just you, I think ESET alone is more than adequate, contrary to common belief, defaulty deny is for average users because they cant be trusted or for enterprise scenario usage (limited number of software that is allowed to run x user cant be trusted).
You have a very good point here. Mostly I use the PC for gaming but sometimes my parents also use it for online banking and checking their emails(downloading attachments and that's why I have AG in case if anything malicious comes out from those attachments which ESET doesn't detect).

Reactions: oldschool

thrillskr

Level 2
Verified
Dec 28, 2018
The more interesting functions on Sandboxie are at the payd version. If you like it go for it. I personaly don’t use it a lot. Most times to install programs like giveaways. Before install it on my machine.

I agree your protection is strong enough and it is not realy needed i.m.o. More like a nice addition for your setup, for me it would be 24 euro a year Inc. tax. (i have Lifetime btw. If i didn’t had this i shouldn’t buy it), and use it for example to renew ESET.

Did you treid Shade sandbox? It’s free, only i don’t now how good it is. Or wait for Windows 1908 and you have a free Sandbox from Microsoft.

The only thing i can say if you have Appgaurd (great software) + tweak some hips settings + comman sense you Will be good.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I think I understand that you are a member of MT and that you like to investigate, I think it happens to everyone. Sandboxie is a good program and can be used to navigate and open mail.etc

The question is ... It is necessary, NOT with ESET IS and AppGuard is more than covered. (y)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.