plat1098

Level 22
Verified
Some years ago, when I first started out using computers, I downloaded a Trojan from an otherwise "trusted" games site. The machine I was using was a Hewlett Packard. When things began to blur and clicks no longer registered, it became clear something was very wrong. By nowadays' standards, I proceeded to do everything "wrong." But, I didn't.

So I called HP customer service. I allowed the service tech remote access to the affected machine. He installed SuperAntiSpyware (wait! stop! this was like 6 years ago, OK?) and it promptly found dozens of nasties. It effectively removed all of it. That's right! (This is why I still retain some regard for SAS to this day even though it's fallen a bit).

So, it depends on with whom you make contact. If you get a browser malicious loop and in a panic call the "convenient" 800 number to get un-frozen, well...there you go. That's what scammers are there for: to prey on the vulnerable and ignorant. It's like a food-chain thing.

McMcbrad

Level 10
Some years ago, when I first started out using computers, I downloaded a Trojan from an otherwise "trusted" games site. The machine I was using was a Hewlett Packard. When things began to blur and clicks no longer registered, it became clear something was very wrong. By nowadays' standards, I proceeded to do everything "wrong." But, I didn't.

So I called HP customer service. I allowed the service tech remote access to the affected machine. He installed SuperAntiSpyware (wait! stop! this was like 6 years ago, OK?) and it promptly found dozens of nasties. It effectively removed all of it. That's right! (This is why I still retain some regard for SAS to this day even though it's fallen a bit).

So, it depends on with whom you make contact. If you get a browser malicious loop and in a panic call the "convenient" 800 number to get un-frozen, well...there you go. That's what scammers are there for: to prey on the vulnerable and ignorant. It's like a food-chain thing.
That's right, I am only talking about these 3 virus removal services though. That's why in the conclusion, I've stayed as neutral as possible, letting people decide for themselves. Microsoft also have virus removal service via the Get Help app. This might be reliable, or it might not be. Soon I will put it to a test as well.

Local Host

Level 23
Verified
That's right, I am only talking about these 3 virus removal services though. That's why in the conclusion, I've stayed as neutral as possible, letting people decide for themselves. Microsoft also have virus removal service via the Get Help app. This might be reliable, or it might not be. Soon I will put it to a test as well.
Microsoft support is on part with those, first line of support is by people reading from a script with little to no tech knownledge.

McMcbrad

Level 10
Microsoft support is on part with those, first line of support is by people reading from a script with little to no tech knownledge.
I remember I contacted once with some fabricated driver issue and they managed to sort it out, but never tried their virus removal. You’re probably right, it won’t be different.