Are you married to any antivirus program?

jadinolf

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 20, 2014
I was just curious because I was introduced to ESET NOD32 about 4 years ago and I like it so much that I have no intention of changing to anything else. It works for me out-of -the box and I will stick with it, probably forever.
Anyone have similar feelings about your favorite programs?
Just checking.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Gold Rule on antivirus and security industry: if it aint broke don't fix it. If ESET suits you, then you've found your perfect software! :)

Sadly i include myself on the group of undecided people who love an antivirus and after 4 months discovers that this other one may suit them best so they change and love it. And then the license expires and they switch to another one they don't like so they migrate to a free one, to then love another one and buy it. Hell we're complicated. That's why we end up restoring or formatting our machines, we fk 'em up so much...

But if i had to mention a software i love, that'd be Kaspersky. Always made me feel safe, but ruined my enviroments performance talking. I still desire it by nights.

jadinolf

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 20, 2014
Gold Rule on antivirus and security industry: if it aint broke don't fix it. If ESET suits you, then you've found your perfect software! :)

Sadly i include myself on the group of undecided people who love an antivirus and after 4 months discovers that this other one may suit them best so they change and love it. And then the license expires and they switch to another one they don't like so they migrate to a free one, to then love another one and buy it. Hell we're complicated. That's why we end up restoring or formatting our machines, we fk 'em up so much...
I agree with you.
IF YOU LIKE IT STAY WITH IT.:)

But if i had to mention a software i love, that'd be Kaspersky. Always made me feel safe, but ruined my enviroments performance talking. I still desire it by nights.

There are a lot of people on the forums that collect security softs like toys. Trying different softs to discover which one works best for you... not many people do that though.

jadinolf

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 20, 2014
There are a lot of people on the forums that collect security softs like toys. Trying different softs to discover which one works best for you... not many people do that though.
I agree but I am not one of them.
I really hold down on what I have installed and learn to live with it.

I am with Appguard since 4-5+ years, and ReHIPS since 3 years . Those are my two "must-be" on my system.
See?
You are an old timer.
Congrats.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

I tested almost all security apps , mix them together even in impossible but working combos, made reviews, etc...My old archived config threads show my experiments; then i discovered Appguard and then ditched all AVs.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I tested almost all security apps , mix them together even in impossible but working combos, made reviews, etc...My old archived config threads show my experiments; then i discovered Appguard and then ditched all AVs.
If you had to fix/repair family or friends machines, would you go with AppGuard or would you just install them a basic antivirus? I do not know the complexity of AppGuard.

Reactions: MWNu72 and bribon77
D

Deleted member 178

@RoboMan Appguard is SRP , means that it is for static machines, by static i mean system that are not often modified (no much installation of softwares, etc...).

A static system has the users needed programs and that is it, then SRPs lock the system from modifications. it is what SRP are made for.

SRP is more for intermediate/advanced users with some decent knowledge of the OS.

If you family are not but have win10 , just make SUAs for each of them , set UAC to max, Smartscreen on "warn" , etc...
But most important , teach them the basics of security : the "best practices" . i had a friend, she was a real noob, i teach her the basics then setup SUA for her, explained when to use admin account, she never get any malware or PUP since...

Once they get what is security , smart people can be safe, however idiots will never be whatever fortress you will setup for them.

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
I have to admit that I've used just about every AV, firewall and HIPS. When I was really into my security setup over at Wilders I would change it weekly. I always had a VM setup to test the newest security product. Now I go for something easy that I'm familiar with and I know will keep me safe. I try not to bounce around as much as I used to.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
@RoboMan Appguard is SRP , means that it is for static machines, by static i mean system that are not often modified (no much installation of softwares, etc...).

A static system has the users needed programs and that is it, then SRPs lock the system from modifications. it is what SRP are made for.

SRP is more for intermediate/advanced users with some decent knowledge of the OS.

If you family are not but have win10 , just make SUAs for each of them , set UAC to max, Smartscreen on "warn" , etc...
But most important , teach them the basics of security : the "best practices" . i had a friend, she was a real noob, i teach her the basics then setup SUA for her, explained when to use admin account, she never get any malware or PUP since...

Once they get what is security , smart people can be safe, however idiots will never be whatever fortress you will setup for them.
Excellent explanation mate. Thank you for the advice.

I have some family members, specially with kids, to whom i tried to teach and they just don't learn... So i set UAC to max, SmartScreen, AppCheck and Windows Defender. To another friend i just set a SUA and told him every time the admin prompt appeared it meant a virus was trying to infect him but was being blocked. Lol.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

There are a lot of people on the forums that collect security softs like toys.
I've also got this illness. I don't know how to stop, even urge to get in touch with my wife isn't so strong anymore, I'd rather buy 1yr license for Avira Pro on discount, than flowers for her. The funny thing is I don't even use Avira Pro, just for hell of it to prove myself that it's different from the Free version, but apparently its not, just included web protection.. licenses for security softs expiring, wife unhappy. I know that @NikolayfromRussia is also a collector, but hes doing it for hes forum to share licenses afterwards, he got that purpose, but I don't. It's sad that I can't change my wife to a different one like I can security products in VMware snapshots. Just sticking with the Windows Defender on my host at the end of the day, when VMware playground is shutdown.

Last edited by a moderator:

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Regards, since I get bored seeing the same Av always, and I prove combinations, already that is not advisable of changing antivirus, but I like to try

I've tried almost everything

jadinolf

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 20, 2014
Intesting.
In the Windows 95 days, I started in McAfee, then Norton, then then avast! and then ESET NOD32. That was all.

Reactions: MWNu72 and frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.