Are you running Win 10 with local/online/both accounts & why?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Currently I am running Win 10 64 with local account only.
Coz currently for me I dont see the need for online account.

What you guys are up to & why?

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
online for syncing onedrive, personal account picture & to use store & other services like email apps.

Reactions: Der.Reisende

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The correct term would be a Microsoft Account. Not an online account, as that could mean anything.

There are advantages to using a Microsoft Account:
- If you use many Microsoft / Xbox services
- Own a Windows Phone
- Multiple Windows 8/10 devices.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I'm running Windows 10 using Microsoft Account as to make everything with ease from its configuration that can be sync. There should be no harm as OneDrive and few stuffs are not bloated but rather you can use on productivity purpose.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Microsoft account here, because i have 2 laptops with Win10 , and i like them to be synchronized.

Khairul

Level 2
Verified
Feb 3, 2015
I prefer using Local account, but now, i have to use my Microsoft account as i need it to synchronised my PC with the one where im doing my job at office. But im still kind of worried risk of the virus malware or any infection that might causes my password to be stolen. Even though it seems too much worried, but the risk are still there right?

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
But im still kind of worried risk of the virus malware or any infection that might causes my password to be stolen. Even though it seems too much worried, but the risk are still there right?
That's what Two-factor authentication is for and Microsoft does a good job of it.

Besides, if you have malware, it can already get to the data that is behind your password anyway, so the password is a minor issue.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
online for syncing onedrive, personal account picture & to use store & other services like email apps.

Using MSA
  • Synch between multiple computers
  • OneDrive
  • Mail
  • I'm neither paranoid nor doing anything I shouldn't

Me 2, as well as the others stated for synchronizing and for the use of the OneDrive-Cloud service. I am also not that scared about that privacy issue Windows 10 is told to have. Of course, I limited the data exchange for privacy reasons as they explain on the internet, but I'll keep on going with the M$-Account (online).

But I agree to Rolo, "I'm neither paranoid nor doing anything I shouldn't".

That's what Two-factor authentication is for and Microsoft does a good job of it.

Besides, if you have malware, it can already get to the data that is behind your password anyway, so the password is a minor issue.

2-Factor-Authentication: This is what I use too, for Google, M$ and LastPass. It takes some more time to Log In (as u need to provide a fast changing PIN generated by an app), but I prefer security, furthermore as I play with viruses on this computer I'm just writing this message.

Reactions: Andytay70

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Play with viruses on a VM (not your production machine and not a sandbox but a real VM: VirtualBox is free and Hyper-V comes with Win10 Pro if you have that).

2FA is only needed on a new device/location, so it never comes up day-to-day. To anyone not sold on 2FA: look at your Microsoft (or any high-visibility account) and check your recent activity for the constant barrage of failed login attempts.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Yes, my PC runs Win 10 Pro now. I'll have a look into VM, I've not yet a plan how to set it up, will google it :)
In terms of MS and Google Login (which i do seldom, I use eM Client to receive my mails, OneDrive can be used directly with Windows), it comes up regularly, as I set Google Chrome to incognito mode on startup always and with no referrers (there's a trick to set it, just put -incognito --no-referrers to the target it says when you right click and look up the properties of Google Chrome Shortcut), so it can't make the PC known to avoid 2FA (I don't know why though).

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
VirtualBox isn't ready for Win10 yet. I don't know about VMware (the free version doesn't do snapshots, so that's out for me).

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I am using Microsoft Account mainly for OneDrive and system config synchronization options.
I've got nothing to hide :cool::D;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.