Are your devices listening to you?

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Increasingly we’re surrounded by devices that have microphones. Not just our computers and smartphones, but smart home devices like Alexa and Echo and even our TVs.

The problem is these mics are not just accepting commands, they’re listening to what’s going on in the background too.

Panda Security has put together an infographic that looks at what devices might be listening in to our conversations and what steps we can take to protect ourselves.

Among its findings are that 88 percent of Americans say it’s important that they not have someone watch or listen to them without their permission, and 65 percent say it’s important to know what information is being collected. Yet despite these fears, demand for voice-first devices (like Alexa or Echo) is expected to grow from 6.5 million in 2016 to nearly 25 million this year.

To protect yourself it’s recommended that you use privacy menus to limit microphone access and activate the mute function when you’re not actively using the device.

MORE

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
We're all safe here no smart devices as of this time have been purchased, not even a phone. Mic on PC's is disabled so we should be safe. I even read where smart light globes can spy on you. :eek: Don't look now but the LED light fixtures are spying on you
Also I think ZAL should protect against these threats at least on PC, here from Majorgeeks:

"Instead of identifying malware based on its signature fingerprint, like all malware products with scan functionality, the AntiLogger catches malware at the moment it attacks your computer. It will then prompt you if an illegal program is trying to record your keystrokes, capture your screen, gain access to your clipboard, microphone, and webcam, or inject itself into your computer’s sensitive areas."

Download Zemana AntiLogger - MajorGeeks

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Also I think ZAL should protect against these threats at least on PC, here from Majorgeeks:

"Instead of identifying malware based on its signature fingerprint, like all malware products with scan functionality, the AntiLogger catches malware at the moment it attacks your computer. It will then prompt you if an illegal program is trying to record your keystrokes, capture your screen, gain access to your clipboard, microphone, and webcam, or inject itself into your computer’s sensitive areas."

Download Zemana AntiLogger - MajorGeeks
I have it here on all my machines so i should be good to go. Cheers. ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well this is no longer a conspiracy but the fact which can happen everywhere, of course it will not disclose some information for the sake of surveillance.

So all you need to do is remain vigilant and check for adjustment of settings regularly however we have no choice but to trust.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.