Solved Assistance on Laptop required

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plexx

Thread author
Hi guys, I need some help here as I am unsure if a simple rescue disk would do the trick since it seems she is unable to even load up the Bios. I will quote what my friend said:
Sony Vaio, OS: Windows Vista, froze all of a sudden and I pressed shut down. Wanted to turn it on again, the screen went black for like 5 min and this error message came up. No matter what I press: Enter or Esc, it restarts and shows the same things all over again.
Tried F5, F8 and F12, nothing works, can't restore, can't enter safe mode, Bios, anything.

31860010150382715062602.jpg

P

Plexx

Thread author
Tried F5, F8 and F12, nothing works, can't restore, can't enter safe mode, Bios, anything

I am unsure how will she get to repair without the above working. Problem is I am no where near the laptop so I can't have a closer look.

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Thread author
I told her already to get Windows 7 and she is getting it and will replace, but thing is that there's stuff that needs to be backed up.

Perhaps a live linux disk could bypass that error message?

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Thread author
Hirens boot disk for a beginner is going be hard. I could try giving the steps by steps...

I could give the directions for a live disk, but if she ain't able to get into bios, there is no way to change the boot sequence... or am I forgetting something?

Upvote 0

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
biozfear said:
Hirens boot disk for a beginner is going be hard. I could try giving the steps by steps...

I could give the directions for a live disk, but if she ain't able to get into bios, there is no way to change the boot sequence... or am I forgetting something?

A linux boot cd will bypass the error. How is she going to back it up then? I have no experience in this matter.

Upvote 0

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
When you upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista it creates and folder called "Windows Old". Your saved data will be stored in there.

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Thread author
If memory serves me right, if a live disk can bypass that, should be able to access the C drive and she should be able to back up the pics and stuff to an external disk. If only I could get my hands on that Laptop I wouldn't need to break my braincells trying to find an easy solution and guide her through :)

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Thread author
Maximus said:
When you upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista it creates and folder called "Windows Old". Your saved data will be stored in there.

Hum so upgrading to WIN7 could be an option but how will she be able to change the boot sequence if she can't access the Bios?

Do you guys need more info on the actual laptop such as model etc?

Upvote 0

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
biozfear said:
Maximus said:

Hum so upgrading to WIN7 could be an option but how will she be able to change the boot sequence if she can't access the Bios?

Well a win7 ugrade could solve it. I see this as a software problem than a hardware. How did she "produce" this issue?

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Thread author
laptop froze and she did a force restart. And now that's all it happens (screenshot on first post).

Win 7 installation has to be custom but how will she be able to access the bios to change boot sequence priority?

Upvote 0

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
biozfear said:
Maximus said:

Who knows how many free space in the system drive is remaining? Maybe it will be less than the minimum space required, so formatting the system drive may be required.

Yes, I think Linux live CD does the job. I recommend you getting an Ubuntu ISO for ease of use. You can access the computer and copy the files from the laptop to an external HDD, for example.

Additional: If you want the ISO to be on USB and the laptop supports booting from USB, Get something like Unetbootin.

Hope this helps you :)

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Thread author
I would assume it does but she doesn't know. She can be considered beginner in terms of PCs.

Asked her to try F10. Will keep you guys posted.

Upvote 0

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Doesn't matter if she is a beginner. Everyone can read a simple owners manual which came with the laptop. If not its online at Sony.com.

Upvote 0

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Have you tried to Google that status code. Hard to make out from here? Seems like a corrupt OS to me. Does she have recovery cd's with it? F2 or F1 usually gets you into your bios.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.